||Commack, NY : Nova Science Publishers, c1998
xvi, 252 p. : ill.
The papers in this book deal with general issues which arise in relation to the development of tourism. While economics is the main focus of many of the essays included in this volume, nearly all are multidisciplinary in nature. Given the multidimensional nature of tourism development, this makes for a more comprehensive coverage of the subject than could otherwise be achieved. This volume should, therefore, appeal to those who would like to take a holistic approach to the subject of tourism development, whether they be policy-makers, members of the tourist industry or academics.
- Overview. 1. The Many Dimensions of Tourism Development / Clem Tisdell and Kartik Roy. 2. A Review of Tourism Economics with Some Observations on Tourism in India / Clem Tisdell
- Tourism, Economic Development, and Culture. 3. Tourism and Economic Development: A Comparative Analysis of Tourism in Developed and Developing Countries / Zhen-hau Liu. 4. India's Tourist Industry and Economic Development: Tourist Industry Growth in the Context of the Evolving Theory of Economic Development / Alan Duhs. 5. Tourism's Importance in Economic Development and the State vs Market in Tourism Development / Kartik Roy and Clem Tisdell. 6. Social Aspects of Tourism and Development / H. A. Louw and A. Smart. 7. Economic Development, Tourism and Culture / Sitakant Mahapatra. 8. Language, Culture and the Development of Tourism: Challenges for Australia / Mariel Tisdell
- Infrastructure, Technology, Man and Nature. 9. The Impact of New Technologies on the Tourist Industry / Anne Parr. 10. Reconnecting Man with Nature: Role of Tourism / Fani Bhusan Das
- Country Studies, Politics, and Sustainability. 11. Tourism in the Seychelles / Rony Gabbay and Robin Ghosh. 12. Tourism in Fiji: Its Economic Development and Property Rights / Biman Prasad and Clem Tisdell. 13. Sustainable Tourism Development: The Case of Scotland / Rajasundram Sathiendrakumar
- Ecotourism, Forests and Recreation, Heritage Values. 14. Modeling of Demand, Supply and Efficient Pricing of Ecotourism in National Parks / D. J. Beal and S. R. Harrison. 15. Recreation and Amenity Values of Reforestation / Steve Harrison. 16. Enhancing Heritage Values through Information Technology Approaches / Pramod Sharma and Steve Harrison.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
||Tourism. | Tourism - Economic aspects.
||Tisdell, C. A. (Clement Allan), 1939- | Roy, K. C. (Kartik Chandra), 1941-