Matthew Flinders family papers, [microform] : [M3033-3037], 1791-1939
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Flinders, Matthew, 1774-1814
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- Canberra : Australian Joint Copying Project, [19--]
- 5 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
- Papers of Matthew Flinders (as filmed by the AJCP)
1. Correspondence 1797-1814: correspondents include Sir Joseph Banks & Thomi Pitot. 2. Journals & narratives 1791-1810: includes journals kept on HMS Providence (c.1791) & HMS Bellerophon (1793-94); narratives of voyages on HMS Tom Thumb (1795-96) & Investigator (1814). 3. Manuscript & printed charts, drawings & prints 1792-1812: includes chart of the passage between New Holland & New Guinea as seen from HMS Providence in 1792, & charts published by Alexander Dalrymple & A. Arrowsmith. 4. Other papers, including letters sent to Mrs Flinders by Sir Joseph Banks, Sir John Franklin & Thomi Pitot. 5. Papers 1800-1912 of Sir William Flinders Petrie concerning the life of his grandfather.
Naval officer and explorer. In 1801-2 he circumnavigated Australia in HMS Investigator, being the first navigator to chart the southern coast.
- National Library of Australia holds microfilm masters.
- Australian Joint Copying Project miscellaneous series M 3033-3037.
- Originals held by National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available (9 p.)
- Flinders, Matthew, 1774-1814 -- Archives
- Flinders, Matthew, Mrs., -1852 -- Correspondence
- Petrie, W. M. Flinders (William Matthew Flinders), Sir, 1853-1942 -- Archives
- Dalrymple, Alexander, 1737-1808
- Banks, Joseph, 1743-1820 -- Correspondence
- Pitot, Thomi -- Correspondence
- Franklin, John, Sir, 1786-1847 -- Correspondence
- Investigator (Ship : Captain = Matthew Flinders)
- Reliance (Ship)
- Providence (Ship)
- Bellerophon (Ship)
- Tom Thumb (Boat)
- Francis (Ship)
- Voyages and travels
- Nautical charts -- Australia
- Australia -- Discovery and exploration
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Papers of Matthew Flinders (as filmed by the AJCP)..
This collection contains 2 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Cannot determine publication date because this record has an open range of dates
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Papers of Matthew Flinders (as filmed by the AJCP), 1698-1852 : [M444, M3033-M3037]
- X. Concerning the differences in the magnetic needle on board the Investigator arising from an alteration in the direction of the ship's head [microform] / by Matthew Flinders ... in a letter to the Right Hon. Sir Joseph Banks
- Selected records from Admiralty 1 and 7 relating to Matthew Flinders [microform] : [M444] 1801-1812
- The voyage of the Investigator 1801-1803, Commander Matthew Flinders, R.N. / K.A. Austin
- H.M. sloop Investigator 1802 [picture] / Geoffrey C. Ingleton