Papers on the Myall Creek massacre, 1964-1979 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Payne, Leonard L
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 0.09 m. (3 folders)
MS 9619 comprises unpublished texts documenting stories of descendants of people who worked at Myall Creek, New South Wales, at the time of the massacre in June 1838, notes by Leonard L. Payne, and histories of Myall Creek and nearby Bingara (3 folders).
Leonard L. Payne was prospecting at Myall Creek in July 1964 with partners Cecil Wall and Ron Inman when he was approached by an anthropologist seeking information on Aboriginal sites. He delved into the history of the Myall Creek massacre. Cecil Wall's father John, and grandfather William Wall had worked on Myall Creek Station, William working there in 1838 at the time of the massacre. Payne documented stories handed down through William, and Wally Fogarty, an Aboriginal who also worked at the station in 1838.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9619.
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Massacre at Myall Creek / Laurie Barber
- A return to the brink / Rodney Hall
- Remembering the Myall Creek massacre / edited by Jane Lydon and Lyndall Ryan
- Massacre at Myall Creek : the true story of the murders and their aftermath that changed the face of Australian society / Laurie Barber
- Demons at dusk : massacre at Myall Creek / Peter Stewart ; foreword by Peter FitzSimons