Records of the Uniting Church in Australia Frontier Services, 1897-2011 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Uniting Church in Australia. Frontier Services
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research until 2022 (MS Acc12.048: Box 3/folder 8; Box 7); part not available for research until 2038 (MS 5574: Box 167/2 folders).
- approximately 113.10 m. (521 boxes) + 14 fol. boxes + 12 map folios.
The great bulk of MS 5574 is correspondence files with various subject headings. There are also minutes, financial records, maps, plans, photographs, news cuttings, printed material. All aspects of the Australian Inland Mission (AIM) are represented, including history, the Aerial Medical Service, hospitals and hostels, United Church in Northern Australia, National and State Councils, publicity material, Far North Children's Health Scheme, Federal Methodist Inland Mission, patrol padres, Reverend John Flynn and Reverend Fred McKay. There are also several artefacts and pieces of AIM equipment (509 boxes, 14 fol. boxes).
The Acc12.048 instalment comprises correspondence, articles, notes and biographies of key leaders, newsletters, brochures, committee notes, statistics, reconstruction and construction specifications and designs, legal files relating to bequests and labour disputes, minute books, annual reports, business plans, patrol reports, property negotiation papers, agreements and project plans all documenting the history of the Uniting Church in Australia with particular focus on the AIM and Frontier Services.
The instalment also contains plaques, photographs, and substantial sets of maps, building designs and diagrams, and promotional and reporting audio visual kits about the operations of the church in remote areas of outback Australia. Of interest are records pertaining to various hospitals, hostels, aged care facilities, kindergartens as well as relationships between the church and indigenous Australians and links with mining companies (12 boxes, 12 map folios).
The Australian Inland Mission was established by the Presbyterian Church of Australia's Board of Inland Missions on the recommendation of Reverend John Flynn, in 1912. Flynn was appointed organizing agent and superintendent. Eight patrols and hospitals in several towns formed the basis of AIM activities, which also included the Far North Children's Health Scheme, Old Timer's Homes, hostels and colleges. The Flying Doctor Service was established and administered by the AIM from 1928-1939 at Cloncurry, then was incorporated into the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia. In 1977 the AIM changed its name to Uniting Church in Australia Frontier Services.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 5574, MS Acc12.048.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia, D935.
- Uniting Church in Australia. Frontier Services -- Archives
- Presbyterian Church of Australia -- Missions -- Archives
- Flying Doctor Service of Australia
- Adelaide House (Alice Springs, N.T.) -- History
- Presbyterian Church -- Australia -- Missions
- Aboriginal Australians -- Missions -- Australia, Central
- Missions -- Australia, Central
- Rural hospitals -- South Australia
- Telephone, Wireless
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Copying of the Uniting Church in Australia Frontier Services’s copyright material is permitted for research purposes, except for Box 3/File 8 and Box 7 (for which permission is required until 2022).
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.