Papers of Sir Lionel Lindsay, 1909-1961 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Lindsay, Lionel, Sir, 1874-1961
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 12 cm.
Two letters from James Craig Annan to Lindsay (1927); typescript copies of correspondence between Lionel Lindsay and his brother Norman (1922); typescript copies of Lindsay's letters to R.G. Menzies (1940-1961); and Hugh McCrae's Satyrs and sunlight: silvarum libri (1909), with original McCrae poems, and letter to Lindsay. (Lindsay illustrated the book); Also includes: (1) "Norman Lindsay by Peter Lindsay" "Robert Lindsay by Lionel Lindsay"; (2) "Notes on the Lindsays and people connected with them" collected by Peter Lindsay; (3) "The Dobell case concerning portrait of Joshua Smith and Lionel Lindsay's participation"; (4) "A chapter on Norman Lindsay deleted from Lionel Lindsay's autobiography"; photocopies and typescripts of correspondence.
Sir Lionel Lindsay, etcher, water colour painter, wood engraver and art critic was born in Creswick, Vic. in 1874. He was a brother of Norman and Daryl. He studied art at the National Gallery School, Melbourne and worked on the Evening News (Sydney) from 1903 until 1926. From 1926 until 1935 he worked in Europe. His publications include The life and art of Conrad Martens (1920), Twenty one wood cuts (1924) and Addled art (1942). Lindsay died in 1961.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 5631.
- Typescript copies of most of the correspondence.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; D945
- Lindsay, Lionel, Sir, 1874-1961 -- Archives
- Annan, J. Craig (James Craig), 1864-1946 -- Correspondence
- Lindsay, Norman, 1879-1969 -- Correspondence
- Menzies, Robert, Sir, 1894-1978 -- Correspondence
- McCrae, Hugh, 1876-1958 -- Correspondence
- Dobell, William, Sir, 1899-1970. Portrait of Joshua Smith
- Artists -- Australia -- Archives
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Letters, [ca. 1955-ca. 1972] [manuscript]
- Album relating to the Craig family, 1860-1861 [manuscript]
- Letter to Sir Elliot Johnson, 1920 June 10 [manuscript]
- Letters [manuscript] : to Cleo and Francis Haberly of Wisconsin, U.S.A. 1942-1969
- Letters from Jack Lindsay to Mary McLean, 1937-1939 [manuscript]