Clifford collection of manuscripts mainly relating to Roman Catholicism, circa 1250-1915 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Clifford family
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. MS 1097 copy
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan. Please note: Items 1-9 and item 65 have been digitised and are available online. The originals of these may only be viewed by prior arrangement with the Curator of Manuscripts
- [ca. 1250-1915]
- 4.5 m. (75 boxed items) + 1 folder.
The collection comprises 75 English and European manuscripts, including nine medieval volumes and one of three extant 14th century Chertsey Abbey cartularies, books owned by Cardinal Weld and writings about the Catholic religion. There is also a file of correspondence of Charles Clifford, 6th Baron Clifford, dating from 1812-1825 (76 items).
The collection formed part of the family library of the late Charles Clifford, 11th Baron Clifford, of Ugbrooke Park, Chudleigh, Devon, England.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 1097.
- The digitisation of items 1-9 and item 65 was made possible by the generous financial support of donors to the Medieval Manuscripts Appeal (2014). The National Library of Australia gratefully acknowledges this support.
- The following selected items are also available on microfilm at the National Library of Australia: 13, 15, 17, 30, 40, 41, 42, 72, 73 (mfm G 7676-7683); Chertsey Cartulary (mfm G 24143); Cayers Maconique (mfm G 25114). The microfilm can be used in the Newspaper and Family History Zone or borrowed on interlibrary loan.
- MS 1097 copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-156072646
- Items in English, Latin, French, Spanish and Italian.
- Descriptive catalogue of medieval and Renaissance western manuscripts in Australia / K.V. Sinclair. Sydney : Sydney University Press, 1969.
- Medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts in Australian collections / Margaret M. Manion and Vera F. Vines ; with a foreword by K.V. Sinclair. Melbourne : Thames and Hudson, 1984.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available online.
- Time Coverage:
- Also Titled:
- Clifford manuscripts
- Selected items exhibited in: "Treasures Gallery", National Library of Australia, 10 July 2013 - 13 October 2013 and 22 March 2014 - 28 July 2014
- Exhibited: "Treasures Gallery", National Library of Australia, 7 October 2011 - 15 December 2012.
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 2 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Proverbien-Kodex = The Book of Proverbs (Codex) Nachwort / Postcript [by Alexander Böhlig]
- La pecia dans les manuscrits universitaires du XIIIe et du XIVe siecle, compte rendu par Jacques Boulenger
- In the prayse of writing : early modern manuscript studies : essays in honour of Peter Beal / edited by S. P. Cerasano and Steven W. May
- Books in manuscript : a short introduction to their study and use / by Falconer Madan
- A guide to the exhibition of some part of the Egerton collection of manuscripts in the British Museum : 5 plates