Papers of Alexander Gore Gowrie, 1835-1987 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Gowrie, Alexander Gore Arkwright Hore-Ruthven Earl of, 1872-1955
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part not available for research. Not for loan.
- 8.54 m. (61 boxes) + 8 fol. boxes.
The papers comprise official and private correspondence, cables, genealogical and biographical papers, legal and financial records, speeches, broadcasts, photographs, newspaper cuttings and memorabilia relating to Lord Gowrie's life and military and public career including his service in Australia as Governor of South Australia (1928-34), Governor of New South Wales (1935-36), and Governor-General of Australia (1936-44). Aspects of the life and work of Gowrie's wife, Zara, and their son, Patrick Hore-Ruthven, are also detailed in the papers.
Amongst the fellow governors, politicians, military leaders, monarchs and other prominent individuals, from both Australia and overseas, whose letters can be found in the collection are Lord Kitchener, Joseph and Enid Lyons, Lord Baden Powell, Sir George Murray, Lord Bruce, Stanley Baldwin, Sir John Latham, Sir Keith Officer, F. M. Forde, R. G. Menzies, W. M. Hughes, General Douglas MacArthur, Eamon de Valera, Maie Casey, Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Lloyd Dumas, Sir Earle Page, Sir Robert Garran, Sir Winston Churchill, Lord Montgomery, Ben Chifley, Daisy Bates, Lloyd Rees, Lord Dudley, Joan Hammond, Sir Keith Hancock, May Gibbs, Lady Stonehaven, Ivy Brookes, Lord Slim, Paul Sorensen, Mab Grimwade, Emily Dutton and Sir Philip Game.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 2852.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-231567203
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid (35 p.) available in Special Collections Reading Room and on the Internet at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms2852
- Time Coverage:
- Governors general.
- Exhibited: Treasures Gallery, National Library of Australia, 16a April, 2016
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 1 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.