Medieval manuscripts and documents from the Nan Kivell calligraphy collection, circa 10th century-1819 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Nan Kivell, Rex, 1898-1977
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- [ca. 10th century-1819]
- 8 metres (235 items)
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ;
The documents were collected by Sir Rex Nan Kivell as specimens of early calligraphy and/or examples of early documentation. He acquired them over a number of years from varied sources which were not recorded. The majority are of English origin but there are also French, German and Italian examples. The pre-1500 material comprises legal documents and fragments from manuscripts of theological, biblical, musico-liturgical and literary works. The legal documents include deeds of gift, recoveries, leases, marriage settlements, bonds, apprenticeship indentures, quit claims, extracts of inquisitions post mortem accounts, letters, and an indenture relating to Drury Lane Theatre. A collection of papers and deeds relating to the family and property of the Elliott family of Salisbury, Hampshire, dating from 1561 to 1785 also forms part of the collection.
Rex Nan Kivell was an art dealer, collector and cultural benefactor. Further biographical information available online at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.party-1035480.
- Manuscript reference: MS 4052.
- The digitisation of the items in this collection was made possible by the generous financial support of donors to the Medieval Manuscripts Appeal (2014). The National Library of Australia gratefully acknowledges this support.
- Selected item(s) also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-201514812
- Cited In:
- Guide to collection of manuscripts relating to Australia. Canberra : National Library of Australia, 1965.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Guide to the Nan Kivell calligraphy collection arranged, described and edited by Barbara Ross. 1 v. of text, 5 v. of photographs.
- Time Coverage:
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2047 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.