Parish records of the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, 1843-2004 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Church of England in Australia. Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research. Not for loan.
- 50 m. (approx. 1500 phase boxes) + 29 boxes + 4 fol. boxes + 1 large box.
The bulk of the records in MS 3085 are birth, marriage and burial registers. The remainder includes stipend registers, minute books, cash books, account books, service registers and preacher's books, cemetery registers, lists of communicants, offertory books, parish rolls, Sunday school attendance registers, confirmation registers, debenture books, and some parish newspapers. Parishes whose records are held are: Adaminaby, Adelong, Albury, Batlow, Barmedman, Bega, Berridale, Binda, Bombala, Boorowa, Braidwood, Bribbarree, Bungendore, Canberra, Cabargo, Cootamundra, Crookwell, Delegate, Goulburn, Gundagai, Gunning, Junee, Kameruka, Koorawatha, Lake Bathurst, Marulan, Moruya, Murrumburrah, Pambula, Queanbeyan, Reid (A.C.T.), Sutton Park, Taralga, Tarcutta, Temora, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Yass and Young. Other smaller parishes' records are included with the records of the parishes listed. The collection also contains papers relating to the diocesan administration, such as Synod and Common Place letter-books, Cathedral council minute books, account books, and correspondence of the Diocese's first two bishops, Mesac Thomas and William Chalmers (approx. 1500 phase boxes, 14 boxes).
The Acc06.111 instalment includes the parish records of Canberra North (St Simon's Parish, Kaleen/Giralang, A.C.T.; St James' Parish, Kippax, A.C.T.; St Paul's Parish, Ginninderra, A.C.T.; Holy Cross Parish, Hackett, A.C.T.); Canberra South (All Soul's Parish, Chapman, A.C.T.; St Matthew's Parish, Wanniassa, A.C.T.); and, the Parish of All Saints, Tumut, N.S.W. (8 boxes, 2 fol. boxes).
The Acc07.150 instalment comprises the records of the New South Wales parishes of Batemans Bay (Batemans Bay, Nelligen, Mogo and South Durras); St Matthias, Bombala; Cootamundra; Southern Monaro (St Philip's, Delegate); Yass (St Mary's, Mundoonan); and, Young (7 boxes, 1 fol. box).
The Acc14.101 instalment comprises the original letters patent creating the Anglican Diocese of Goulburn in 1863 and the creation of Goulburn as a city, making it Australia's first inland city. The diocese is now the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn (1 large box).
The Anglican parishes of the Canberra-Goulburn area were initially part of the Diocese of Sydney. In 1863 a separate diocese of Goulburn was formed with Mesac Thomas as its first bishop, and in 1950 became the Diocese of Canberra-Goulburn. The Diocese carries out its mission under the authority of the bishop, and ministers to people in the Australian Capital Territory and the south-eastern area of New South Wales, extending as far as Wagga Wagga in the west and Marulan in the north. The Diocesan entities include 59 parishes and specialist ministries, seven Anglican schools, Anglicare, St. Mark's National Theological Centre and the Anglican Development Fund. The Diocesan Office is located in Canberra.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 3085, MS Acc06.111, MS Acc07.150, MS Acc14.101.
- Selected items are also available on microfilm.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia, C795.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Church of England in Australia. Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn -- Archives
- Church records and registers -- Australian Capital Territory
- Church records and registers -- New South Wales -- Goulburn Region
- Registers of births, etc -- Australian Capital Territory
- Registers of births, etc -- New South Wales -- Goulburn Region
- Archives, Diocesan -- Australian Capital Territory
- Archives, Diocesan -- New South Wales -- Goulburn Region
- Australian Capital Territory -- Genealogy
- New South Wales -- Genealogy
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn's copyright material requires permission for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Index, 1839-1876 [manuscript] / prepared by the Society of Australian Genealogists
- Parish register index Church of England Diocese of Canberra-Goulburn [microform] / Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra
- Parish register index in parish order Church of England Diocese of Canberra-Goulburn [microform] / Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra
- Information on all known burials in St. James Anglican Cemetery Kippilaw / compiled by David Ralph
- Registers of land sales and probate in the Goulburn area, 1867-1904 [manuscript]