Papers of Dorothy Green, 1943-1990 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Green, Dorothy, 1915-1991
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research (Subseries 2A Folder 31; Subseries 2C; Subseries 2E; Series 5; Series 9 - 12; Subseries 13B - 13C; Subseries 13E - 13I; Series 14 - 15); remainder requires permission for research. Not for loan.
- 16.74 m. (88 archives boxes) + 1 medium elephant folio.
The major series include: I. Correspondence (1943-1990): the series comprises personal and business letters. The correspondents include Martin Boyd, Janet Carden, Clem and Nina Christesen, Betty Crombie, Margaret G. Lewis, Elizabeth Perkins, Gwen Harwood and Elizabeth Webby. II. Literary works: papers relating to Ulysses bound (1960), Martin Boyd (not published), The music of love (1984), A history of Australian literature (revised ed. published in 1984-1985) and other miscellaneous writings. III. Papers relating to Green's career as a journalist (1943-1952) and teacher (Presbyterian Girls' College in Warwick, Queensland, 1957-1960). IV. Papers relating to Green's academic career: Monash University (1961-1963), Australian National University (1965-1979) and Australian Defence Force Academy (1983-1989); and papers relating to Green's varied interests including the peace movement and nuclear disarmament, philosophy and religion, Aborigines and education.
Writer, journalist and university lecturer. Dorothy Green worked for the ABC (1942-1949), the Presbyterian Girls' College, Qld. (1955-1960); and lectured in Australian, English and American literature at Monash University (1961-1963), ANU (1964-1972) and ADFA (1979-1987). Her publications include Ulysses bound: a study of Henry Handel Richardson and her fiction (1986) and Descent of spirit: writing of E.L. Grant Watson (1990). She also produced a revised edition of her husband's A history of Australian literature (1984-1985).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 5678.
- Related material: Papers of Paul Brennan, 1877-1994 MS 8116.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; D342.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room and on the Internet at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms5678
- Green, Dorothy, 1915-1991 -- Archives
- Christesen, C. B. (Clement Byrne), 1911-2003 -- Correspondence
- Lewis, Margaret G -- Correspondence
- Webby, Elizabeth, 1942- -- Correspondence
- Crombie, Betty -- Correspondence
- Christesen, Nina, 1911-2001 -- Correspondence
- Harwood, Gwen, 1920-1995 -- Correspondence
- Carden, Janet -- Correspondence
- Boyd, Martin, 1893-1972 -- Correspondence
- Perkins, Elizabeth, 1933- -- Correspondence
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- College teachers -- Australia -- Archives
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.