Papers of Sir Littleton Groom, circa 1886-1936 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Groom, Littleton E. (Littleton Ernest), 1867-1936
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid available at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- [ca. 1886-1936]
- 6.30 m. (42 boxes) + 2 fol. items.
MS 236 comprises correspondence, 1886-1936, the bulk of this being political, but there are sections concerning Australian literature, including letters by and about Essex Evans and Steele Rudd (A.H. Davis), and a few letters concerning Burley Griffin and the Federal Commission and some relating to the foundation of the University of Queensland. There are also speeches, notes, memoranda, reports, photographs, programmes, invitations and miscellaneous papers. Correspondents include Cook, Deakin, Forrest, O'Malley, Fisher, Barton, Kingston, Griffith, Kirwaan, B.R. Wise, G.H. Wise, Lyne, Bavin, O'Connor, Hughes Watson, Isaacs, Higgins, Pearce, Quick, Garran, Glynn, T.T. Ewing, G.H. Knibbs, Mauger, W. Kidston, W.E. Johnson, E.L. Batchelor, F.G. Tudor, W. Massy Greene, Hume Cook, Atlee Hunt, D.F. Denham, G.W. Power, F. Gavan Duffy, R. Spencer Browne and T.E. Roseby (42 boxes, 2 fol. items).
Barrister and politician. Littleton Ernest Groom won the first federal by-election in 1901 and was the Member for the Darling Downs electorate from 1901-1925 and 1931-1936. Groom held various ministerial posts between 1905 and 1925, represented Australia at the Fifth Assembly of the League of Nations and was Speaker of the House of Representatives, 1926-1929. Groom was knighted in 1924.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 236.
- Card index to correspondence available.
- Associated materials: Papers of Sir Littleton and Lady Jessie Groom, circa 1867-1962 MS 10046.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia, A607.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid (26 p.) available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Groom, Littleton E. (Littleton Ernest), 1867-1936 -- Archives
- Griffin, Walter Burley, 1876-1937
- University of Queensland -- History
- Politicians -- Australia -- Archives
- Lawyers -- Australia -- Archives
- Australian literature
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1851-1901
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1901-1945
- Time Coverage:
- Federal politicians.
- Copying of Sir Littleton Groom's copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Papers of Sir Littleton and Lady Jessie Groom, circa 1867-1962 (bulk 1867-1942) [manuscript]
- A svbmissive and petitionary letter, subscribed to the right honourable the Lords of Parliament, in the upper House of Parliament assembled [electronic resource] : and intituled The humble submission and supplication of the Lord Littleton, Lord Keeper of the Great Seale of England
- A submissive and petitionary letter subscribed. To the right Honourable the Lords of Parliament, in the upper House of Parliament assembled. [microform] And intituled The humble submission and supplication of the Lord Littleton, Lord Keeper of the Great Seale of England
- A submissive and petitionary letter subscribed. To the right Honourable the Lords of Parliament, in the upper House of Parliament assembled. [electronic resource] : And intituled The humble submission and supplication of the Lord Littleton, Lord Keeper of the Great Seale of England
- Newspaper cuttings and letter 1888-1936 [manuscript]