Roland Wilson interviewed by Cameron Hazlehurst and Colin Forster [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Wilson, Roland, 1904-1996, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
Sir Roland Wilson, former Treasury Secretary, talks about his background, family and tertiary education, (which lead directly to a career as a senior public servant), how he started as Economic Adviser in the Statistics Section of the Treasury in the Commonwealth Public Service in Feb. 1932, the major influence of Lyndhurst Giblin, his impressions of later noted statisticians that worked with him in those years, his time as Commonwealth Statistician, his initiative to introduce research officers into the Public Service and to coordinate statistical reporting with the States, his appointment as Secretary of the Dept. of Labour and National Service in 1940, his eventual appointment as Secretary of the Treasury and the injection of economists into this department, his views on the definition of productivity, the problems of estimating levels of wealth amongst Australians in the 1930's, his role as Chairman of the United Nations Economic and Employment Commission.
Sir Roland Wilson (1904-1996) was a prominent and highly respected public servant, serving as Commonwealth Statistician (1936-1940, 1946-1951), Secretary of the Dept. of Labour and National Service (during WWII), Secretary to the Treasury (1951-1966), and Chairman to both Qantas (1966-1973) and the Commonwealth Banking Corporation (1966-1975)
- Transcript only.
- All recordings missing as of 29 Nov. 1996.
- Recorded on March 28, 1984.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Corrected transcript available (typescript, 30 leaves)
- Other authors/contributors:
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2054 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- [Address, to welcome Sir Edmund Barton, Ottawa], [1902 Sept. 10] [manuscript]
- Services canteens in Australia
- Calculations relating to a heating, quadruple effect evaporating and vacuum boiling installation for a sugar factory / by Francis Maxwell
- Iwanami bunko monogatari / Yamasaki Yasuo cho
- al-Yahud fi al-mu`askar al-Sharqi / talif Dawud `Abd al-`Afuw Sunnuqrut