Album of manuscripts of Australasian and Pacific interest collected by Rex Nan Kivell, 1722-1959 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 0.12 m. (1 v.)
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ; NK4168.
Album of manuscript letters, deeds, wills, drafts, etc. of Australasian and Pacific interest. Represented in the collection are: James Cook; Admiral George Anson; R. Parkinson; Lord Robert Bingley; Sir John Jamieson; Barron Field; Lord Chatham; John Franklin; George III; John Gould; William Bligh; Thomas Forrest; Thomas Faber; T.L. Mitchell; George Bennet; Sir Joseph Banks; Lachlan Macquarie; General Thaddeus Kosciuszko; Robert Southey; Sir George Grey; Thomas Hustler; Sir Richard Westmacott; Bishop George A. Selwyn; John Williams; Henry Williams; John Manners; W.J. Hooker; J.B. Pentland; Captain Matthew Flinders; John Hammersley; Chas. Todd; R. Torrens; Elizabeth Fry; Florence Nightingale; Sir Henry Parkes; Prof. R. Owen; J.C. Patteson; Oscar Wilde; Rev. Thos. Vasey; C. Lindauer; George IV; Rex de C. Nan Kivell, John A. Ferguson; William Colenso; Lord Palmerston; William Gladstone; Lord John Russell; William Parry; Robert Falcon Scott; Chas. Fox; Theodore Roosevelt; Prince Albert; Queen Victoria; Walter Buller; Paul Gaughin; Chas. Heaphy; Captain Henry Kater; J.W. Whitehead; James Stack; W. Denison; J. Backhouse; Georg Forster; Thomas Pennant and others.
Manuscripts in the collection that relate to New Zealand include: autograph of Tawhiao, second Maori king and chief of Tainui tribes in the 1850s-1880s (item 48e); autograph of Kerewaro, a New Zealand chief of great influence (item 48f); letter of Papaihia Tamatoa (Pomare V) at Tahiti dated 20 July 1881 (item 49a); deed of transfer signed by several Maori chiefs for the transfer of land at Wellington, 2 July 1880 (items 97a-b); Maori letter of Hemi Tautai at Paihia to Colenso regarding trade on his ship, and mentioning blankets and equipment for his ship, 4 June 1844 (item 107b); A brief description of the unchristianized inhabitants of the islands of the Pacific by Rev. John Williams, 15 May 1836 (item 114a); six letters written by Colenso addressed to H. Hill, Inspector of Schools, Napier, 1883-1887 (items 118a-e) and 1895 (item 119), and, autograph of Hapimana Ngapiko, of Te Ati Awa, Taranaki, who visited Queen Victoria in May 1863 (item 151b).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 4246.
- Title on spine: Early mss letters of Australasian interest: collection of Rex de C. Nan Kivell.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection NK4168.
- Photocopies available for reference.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-251886516
- Includes some items in Maori, some in Tahitian, some in French.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid (26 p.) available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Cook, James, 1728-1779 -- Correspondence
- Bligh, William, 1754-1817 -- Correspondence
- Banks, Joseph, 1743-1820 -- Correspondence
- Flinders, Matthew, 1774-1814 -- Correspondence
- Fry, Elizabeth Gurney, 1780-1845 -- Correspondence
- Parkes, Henry, Sir, 1815-1896 -- Correspondence
- Nan Kivell, Rex, 1898-1977 -- Correspondence
- Ferguson, John Alexander, 1881-1969 -- Correspondence
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900 -- Correspondence
- Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Correspondence
- Field, Barron, 1786-1846 -- Correspondence
- Southey, Robert, 1774-1843 -- Correspondence
- Grey, George, Sir, 1812-1898 -- Correspondence
- Forster, Georg, 1754-1794 -- Correspondence
- Pennant, Thomas, 1726-1798 -- Correspondence
- Colenso, William, 1811-1899 -- Correspondence
- Manuscripts -- Australasia
- Manuscripts -- Pacific Area
- Time Coverage:
- Also Titled:
- Early mss letters of Australasian interest : collection of Rex de C. Nan Kivell
- Collection of Rex de C. Nan Kivell
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The space between the bars : a book of reflections
- The journals of Andre Gide / translated from the French, with an introd. and notes, by Justin O'Brien
- Cardiphonia: or, The utterance of the heart; [electronic resource] : in the course of a real correspondence. / By the author of Omicron's letters. ; [Two lines of quotations] ; In two volumes. Vol. I[-II]
- Remains of the Rev. C. F. Schwartz, missionary in India, consisting of his letters and journals : with a sketch of his life
- The constant lover; or, William and Jeanette; [electronic resource] : a tale. / From the German of Augustus von Kotzebue, author of The stranger, Lovers' vows, Self immolation, Virgin of the sun, &c. ; To which is prefixed, an account of the literary life of the author. ; Two volumes in one