Sketches of Australian life and scenery complete in 12 plates [picture]
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- London (170 Fleet Street) : Published by Paul Jerrard & Son : for the proprietors Messrs Newbold & Co., [186-]
- 12 prints : lithograph, hand colour ; sheet 27.9 x 38.5 cm.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ; NK753/1-12
- Title lettered at head of each plate.
- The plates are numbered u.l. 1-12, and captioned below the image with explanatory text; pl. no. 9, only, bears the imprint.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection NK753/1-12.
- Loosely based on drawings by S.T. Gill, including some plates from The Australian sketchbook.
- The plates are: 1. Sunday at the diggings -- 2. The lost bushman or the unfortunate digger that never returned -- 3. A new rush -- 4. A concert on a new rush or gold diggings in Australia -- 5. Bushrangers waiting for the mails in New South Wales -- 6. A corrobory or native dance -- 7. A native sepulchre or aboriginal mode of burial -- 8. Christmas on the diggings or the unwelcome visitor who came uninvited --9. Our convicts what we do & what becomes of them --10. The way Her Majesty's Mails & the public protectors are served in New South Wales -- 11. The new chum's arrival on a gold diggings -- 12. Prospecting for gold or rewarded at last.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-139539534
- U2811-U2822; S3091-S3100 incomplete (pl. no. 1-5, 8-12); S3777-S3779 (pl. no. 4,5,12)
- Exhibited 1994: Gold fever! NLA; Hyde Park Barracks; Gold Museum Ballarat.
- Cited In:
- Ferguson, J.A. Bibliography of Australia, 15738b
- Wantrup, J. Australian rare books, 1788-1900, 255
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 12 records.
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Since 1939 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.