Papers of Edward Augustus Petherick, 1756-1917 (bulk 1870-1914) [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Petherick, Edward Augustus, 1847-1917
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item.
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia.
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 11.57 m. (16 boxes) + 92 binders + 2 fol. items + 1 elephant folio.
The papers of MS 760 contain E.A. Petherick's correspondence concerning business affairs as a bookseller in London, 1870-1900, letters to his father, 1870-1877, letters relating to his collection, 1875-1914, to its presentation to the Commonwealth Parliament, and to his subsequent work as Archivist. The collection also comprises Petherick's working notes and drafts for his publications including "European enterprises in Australia" and for his "Bibliography of Australasia", press cuttings and biographical material. A large part of the papers comprise original manuscripts acquired by Petherick, transcripts of historical documents, and the manuscript of his unpublished, "Bibliography of Australasia" (16 boxes, 92 binders, 2 fol. items).
The Acc09.003 instalment comprises the deed of gift to the Commonwealth of Australia of an Australasian and Polynesian library. This is the signed and sealed illuminated address, recording the presentation by E.A. Petherick and his wife Mary Agatha Petherick, to the Chairman of the Library Committee of the Commonwealth Parliament, of his private library for the use of the people of the Commonwealth. The collection of some 16,500 titles formed the nucleus of the National Library of Australia's collection of Australiana (1 elephant folio).
Edward Augustus Petherick was born in England and came to Australia as a child. He returned to London to work in 1870 and spent the next forty years as a bookseller, publisher, bibliographer and book collector. Upon his return to Australia in 1909 he presented his large collection to the Commonwealth Parliament as a "nucleus of an historical museum." He spent his last years as Commonwealth Archivist, working on his collection.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 760, MS Acc09.003.
- Card index to correspondence available.
- Associated materials: Papers relating to Edward Augustus and Ernest G. Petherick, 1815-1916 MS 10465.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-229629462
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available online.
- Time Coverage:
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 1 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.