Papers of Charles Talbut Onions, 1870-1965 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Onions, C. T. (Charles Talbut), 1873-1965
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid available at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 3.9 m.
The bulk of the collection contains Onions' working papers and related correspondence for "Advanced English syntax", "Shakespeare glossary", and "Shorter Oxford English dictionary", and working copies of the 8th and 9th editions of Sweet's "An Anglo Saxon reader in prose and verse" with galley proofs and related correspondence. There are typed notes, and correspondence relating to the "Middle English dictionary" and "Webster dictionary" (1954), annotated copies of the "The pearl" (1906) by Charles Osgood and the manuscript of "Words and phrases" by William Davis. Finally, included in Onions' papers are notes on French composition; photocopies of letters from such writers as Ruyard Kipling; Dorothy Sayers, G. B. Shaw, John Galsworthy and Austin Chamberlain, copies of the Onion's published works, and a number of miscellaneous dictionaries.
Dr Charles Talbut Onions joined the staff of the Oxford Dictionary in 1895 and was co-editor of the project from 1914 to 1933. After serving in Naval Intelligence during the war, he joined the staff of Oxford University as Lecturer and later as Reader in English Philology.
- Manuscript reference no. : MS 2089.
- Includes some photocopies.
- Location of originals unknown.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- The secret archives of the diocesan curia; a historical synopsis and a commentary
- The archive / edited by Charles Merewether
- Papers of Charles Smeathman 1840 [manuscript]
- Archival theory and information technologies : the impact of information technologies on archival principles and methods / Charles M. Dollar ; Oddo Bucci, editor
- Our public records; a brief handbook to the national archives, by Alex. Charles Ewald