Papers of Christina Stead, 1916-1990 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Stead, Christina, 1902-1983
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 0.60 m. (1 box) + 1 folio.
MS 9581 comprises correspondence between Christina Stead and her brother David Darwin Stead, during the period 1929-1983, with the majority dating from 1970s. Included are brief notes Stead wrote to her cousin Gwen Walker-Smith on the source for characters in her books The Salzburg tales and Seven poor men of Sydney. There is also the typescript of a poem written by Stead in 1916 titled "On a Belgian battlefield", photographs, the Premier's Literary Award Medal awarded in 1982 for her distinguished contribution to Australian literature, the Certificate of Honorary Membership presented by the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, 1982, a school report for 1916, photocopy of Stead's death certificate, and journals and newspaper cuttings relating to Stead's career and death (1 box, 1 folio).
Novelist and short-story writer. Christina Ellen Stead was born and educated in Australia, but spent most of her life abroad. During the 1930s she began to have novels published, with her acknowledged masterpiece, The man who loved children, being released in 1940. Despite critical acclaim she did not win a more general following until the mid-1960s. In 1974, Stead returned to Australia, making it her home for the first time since 1928.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9581.
- Associated materials: Papers of Christina Stead, 1919-1996 MS 4967.
- Associated materials: Papers of Christina Stead, 1937-1988 MS 8645.
- Exhibited: Treasures Gallery, National Library of Australia, 17A April, 2017
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- [Biographical cuttings on Christina Ellen Stead, author, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- Christina Stead : selected fiction and nonfiction / edited by R.G. Geering and A. Segerberg
- Christina Stead : a study in criticism / by John O'Donnell
- Letters from Christina Stead to Margaret Hanks and Percia Stead, 1938-1982 [manuscript]
- Papers of Christina Stead, 1919-1996 [manuscript]