Papers of Joseph Clark, 1930-1988 (bulk 1930-1969) [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Clark, J. J. (Joseph James), 1897-1992
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 1.65 m. (11 boxes)
MS 2708 mainly comprises correspondence, circulars, speeches and clippings concerning elections and the Australian Labor Party. There are also pocket diaries from 1930-1988 that include appointments and travelling details and printed material. The collection also includes the papers of Clark's father, J.A. Clark, comprising correspondence, papers relating to the 1916 conscription campaign and referendum and ledgers and financial papers from his tailoring business (11 boxes).
Federal politician. Joseph James Clark was born at Coonamble, New South Wales in 1897. He was first elected as the member for Darling, western New South Wales, on 15 September, 1934. He retained this position until his retirement on 29 September, 1969. He was deputy chairman of the Australian Meat Industry Commission from 1942-1943, member of the Federal Meat Advisory Committee from 1943-1946, and chairman of committees and deputy speaker, 1946-1949. Clark was awarded CBE in 1970.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 2708.
- Related Material:
- Portrait of the Hon. Joseph Clark, 1938; Located at; National Library of Australia Pictures collection PIC/15510/1.
- Joseph Clark interviewed by Gordon Bryant in the Parliament's oral history project; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 4900/51.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room and online at: http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms2708
- Clark, J. J. (Joseph James), 1897-1992 -- Archives
- Clark, J. A. (Joseph Alfred), 1872-1951 -- Archives
- Australian Labor Party -- Officials and employees -- Archives
- Politicians -- Australia -- Archives
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1922-1945
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1945-1965
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Clark, J. A. (Joseph Alfred), 1872-1951
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Document 1930 [manuscript]
- [Biographical cuttings on J. J. Clark, one of the longest serving Members of Federal Parliament, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- Papers of J.J. Dedman, 1930-1954 [manuscript]
- Papers of Dymphna Clark, circa 1930-2000 [manuscript]
- Literary manuscripts, [19--] [manuscript]