Bill Akers interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Akers, Bill (William Arthur), 1929-2010, interviewee
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Access Conditions:
- Access open for research, personal copies and public use.
- 2002 Feb. 23
- 5 digital audio tapes (ca. 243 min.)
William Akers, theatrical director and Director of Productions, Australian Ballet, speaks of his family background; his interest in the theatre; working at the Rathbone Academy of Dramatic Art; joining the John Alden Shakespeare Company as actor and choreographer; his education and his first interest in dance; performing in radio serials; Joyce Graeme and the National Theatre Ballet; The Borovansky Ballet; the Australian production of 'Corroboree' by Rex Reid; his work for Garnet H. Carroll with Jessie Matthews; his secondment to the Borovansky Ballet as the Assistant Stage Manager; his view of Edouard Borovansky; the work of the Borovansky Ballet including some of their dancers and their competition; his views on artistic directors such as Peggy van Praagh, Borovansky, Leon Kellaway, Rudolf Nureyev and Erik Bruhn; his work as a lighting director and his aim to highlight bodies rather than sets; his work as Lighting Director for the Borovansky Ballet and their production of 'Display'; his views on Robert Helpmann.
- Recorded on Feb. 23, 2002 in Melbourne, Vic.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-217496931
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary (3 p.) and corrected transcript (typescript, 101 leaves)
- Theatrical managers.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Potter, Michelle, 1944-, interviewer
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2072 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Barry Kitcher interviewed by Michelle Potter in the Esso Performing Arts collection [sound recording]
- Harry Haythorne interviewed by Michelle Potter for the Keep dancing oral history project [sound recording]
- Colin Peasley interviewed by Bill Stephens [sound recording]
- Ross Stretton interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]
- Marilyn Rowe interviewed by Michelle Potter [sound recording]