Papers of Barbara Baynton, 1907-1973 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Baynton, Barbara, 1857-1929
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 1.56 m. (7 boxes) + 1 fol. box + 2 folders.
MS 3077 comprises personal correspondence, including letters from Ethel Curlewis and the infant "Jo" Gullett, 1907, 1914 and 1925; legal and financial papers, 1918-1938; and miscellaneous papers, 1913 and 1929. The collection also includes items on the judicial separation from Lord Headley, 1924; Lady Headley's will, 1928; selected pages from the published works written under the name Barbara Baynton; and newspaper cuttings (2 folders).
The Acc12.114 instalment comprises the annual returns on estate funds, correspondence between trustees (business and personal) and beneficiaries of the estate of Lady Headley, and most particularly the documentation describing the ongoing involvement of chartered accountants Young and Outhwaite of Melbourne. The instalment includes a limited amount of realia (wallet), cheque book stubs, prospecti, auction catalogues and valuations of properties and assets (7 boxes, 1 fol. box).
Writer. Barbara Janet Ainsleigh Kilpatrick was born at Scone, New South Wales in 1857. In 1880 she married Alexander Hay Frater. After raising a family of two sons and a daughter they were divorced in 1890. She married Dr. Thomas Baynton in the same year. Failing to find a publisher in Sydney, she visited London in 1902, where Bush studies was published. In 1903 she returned to Sydney. Her husband, Dr. Baynton, died on 10 June, 1904. She spent the next few years alternating between Australia and London, with her novel Human toll published in London. She married Lord Headley in 1921, but they separated after a few years. Further biographical information at http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/1468739
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 3077, MS Acc12.114.
- Associated materials: Papers of Sir Henry and Lady Penelope Gullett, 1887-1961 MS 3078, MS Acc13.045.
- Associated materials: Papers of Henry Baynton Gullett, 1916-1961 MS 3079.
- Originals in private ownership.
- In part, photocopies. [S.l.]
- Baynton, Barbara, 1857-1929 -- Archives
- Baynton, Barbara, 1857-1929 -- Will
- Novelists, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- Women novelists, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- Expatriate authors -- England -- Archives
- Authors, Australian -- England -- Archives
- Australian fiction -- 20th century -- Women authors
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of Barbara Baynton’s copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- [Biographical cuttings on Lady Headley, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- [Biographical cuttings on Barbara Baynton, writer, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- Dancing in red shoes : Barbara Baynton and the Australian myth / Tihana Klepač
- Typescripts of published and unpublished novels 1943-1958 [manuscript]
- Papers of Justin D'Ath, 1988-1990 [manuscript]