From the margins of empire : Christina Stead, Doris Lessing, Nadine Gordimer / Louise Yelin
- Bib ID:
- Yelin, Louise
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 1998
- ix, 197 p. ; 24 cm.
- 080143503X (alkaline paper) (cased)
- 0801485053 (alkaline paper) (paperback)
- Reading women writing.
- Full contents:
- Introduction: From the Margins of Empire
- Pt. I. Christina Stead: Buffoon Odyssey? 1. Unsettling Australia: The Man Who Loved Children as National Family Romance. 2. "Buffoon Odyssey"? For Love Alone and the Writing of Exile
- Pt. II. Doris Lessing: In Pursuit of the English. 3. The Englishing of Doris Lessing. 4. "Integrated with British Life at Its Roots": The Construction of British Identity in The Golden Notebook. 5. Reading Doris Lessing with Margaret Thatcher: The Good Terrorist, The Fifth Child, and England in the 1980s
- Pt. III. Nadine Gordimer: Literature and Politics in South Africa. 6. European Genealogies and South African Identity in Burger's Daughter. 7. Decolonizing the Novel: A Sport of Nature as Postcolonial Picaresque. 8. Beyond Identity: The Poetics of Nonracialism and the Politics of Cultural Translation in My Son's Story
- Conclusion: Writing beyond the Margins.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -191) and index.
- Lessing, Doris May, 1919- -- Political and social views
- Stead, Christina, 1902-1983 -- Political and social views
- Gordimer, Nadine -- Political and social views
- Commonwealth literature (English) -- Women authors -- History and criticism
- Women and literature -- English-speaking countries -- History -- 20th century
- National characteristics, British, in literature
- Decolonization in literature
- Imperialism in literature
- Great Britain -- In literature
- South Africa -- In literature
- Australia -- In literature
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Chain reaction : women writers and society / Mary Ann Metcalf
- The Female imagination and the modernist aesthetic / edited by Sandra M. Gilbert, Susan Gubar
- Along the faultlines : sex, race and nation in Australian women's writing, 1880s - 1930s / Susan Sheridan
- Subject to others : British women writers and colonial slavery, 1670-1834 / Moira Ferguson
- Woman in Irish legend, life, and literature / edited by S.F. Gallagher