A concise history of Australia / Stuart Macintyre
- Bib ID:
- Macintyre, Stuart, 1947-2021
- Online Version:
- Table of contents
- Related Online Resources:
- Publisher description
- Cambridge ; Melbourne : Cambridge University Press, 1999
- xiii, 320 p. : ill., facsim., maps ; 22 cm.
- 0521625777 (alkaline paper) (paperback)
- 0521623596 (alkaline paper) (cased) (hardback)
- Cambridge concise histories.
"Australia is the last continent to be settled by Europeans, but it also sustains a people and a culture tens of thousands of years old. For much of the past 200 years the newcomers have sought to replace the old with the new. This book tells how they imposed themselves on the land, and describes how they brought technology, institutions and ideas to make it their own. It relates the advance from penal colony to a prosperous free nation and illustrates how, in a nation created by waves of newcomers, the search for binding traditions has long been frustrated by the feeling of rootlessness. Now, with the realisation that colonisation began with invasion, present-day Australians are - more than ever before - coming to terms with their past and recognising the need to redefine and reposition Australia in a changing world. This is the most up-to-date single-volume Australian history available."--BOOK JACKET.
- Full contents:
- 1. Beginnings
- 2. Newcomers, c. 1600-1792
- 3. Coercion, 1793-1821
- 4. Emancipation, 1822-1850
- 5. In thrall to progress, 1851-1888
- 6. National reconstruction, 1889-1913
- 7. Sacrifice, 1914-1945
- 8. Golden age, 1946-1974
- 9. Reinventing Australia, 1975-1999
- 10. What next?
- Includes index.
- Bibliography: p. 293-305.
- Republicanism -- Australia
- Aboriginal Australians -- History
- Settlement and contacts - Colonisation - 1788-1850
- Settlement and contacts - Explorers - European
- Settlement and contacts - Colonisation - 1851-
- Australia -- History
- Australia -- Politics and government
- Australia -- Environmental conditions
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2091 [Creator Date of Death + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.