Tony Eggleton interviewed by Terry Colhoun for the Centenary of Federation [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Eggleton, Tony (Anthony), 1932-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Written permission required for both research and public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 12 digital audio tapes, 4 sound files (ca. 869 min.)
Eggleton speaks of his early years growing up in Swindon, England; his memories of WWII; his career aspirations in journalism; what led to his spending one year work experience in Australia; his work with ABC Melbourne and Radio Australia including training for TV in 1955; his period as Chief-of-Staff, ABC TV News (Melbourne); his move to Canberra in 1960 as Coordinator of Naval Public Relations; how a National Press Club was established in Canberra (1962) and his appointment as its first President; the political highlights while Press Secretary to Robert Menzies (1965); Harold Holt (1966-68); John Gorton (1968-69); Bill McMahon; his role as Media Coordinator for 1970 Royal Visit.
Eggleton discusses his position as Director of Information, Commonwealth of Nations in London (1971); upon his return to Australia in 1974 his position as Special Adviser to Bill Snedden, Opposition Leader; his position as Chief of Staff to Malcolm Fraser; becoming the Federal Director of the Liberal Party in May 1975; the Fraser years 1975-83, the highlights of Australian politics 1983-90; assisting Andrew Peacock, John Howard and John Hewson; his position as Special Adviser to the Party (1990); his position as Secretary-General of CARE International (1991); returning to Australia in 1995 to salvage CARE Australia which had experienced problems; his position as Chief Executive of the National Council for the Centenary of Federation, a position to took up in 1997.
Tony Eggleton was a political adviser for the Liberal Party of Australia and Chief Executive of the National Council.
- Recorded on Aug. 12, 14 & 25, 1998; Sept. 8, 1998; Oct. 13 & 20 1998; Aug. 5, 2003; Aug. 7, 2003 at the National Library of Australia, Canberra, A.C.T..
- Digital master available National Library of Australia
- Summary (12 p.)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Colhoun, Terry, 1924-, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2068 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Roger McDonald interviewed by Suzanne Lunney [sound recording]
- Graham Freudenberg interviewed by John Farquharson [sound recording]
- Denis O'Brien interviewed by Bill Stephens [sound recording]
- Peter Bowers interviewed by John Farquharson [sound recording]
- Peter Ryan interviewed by John Farquharson [sound recording]