Letters, 1944-1975 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Anderson, Edith, 1915-1999
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- 10 cm. (4 folders + 1 bk.)
Collection of letters received by Anderson in Berlin from Christina Stead (approximately 160) written mainly from London, but also from Switzerland, France and Belgium. Some of the letters are from Stead's husband, William Blake. There are a group of letters written during Stead and Blake's visit to Germany in 1957. Some of the letters are annotated by Anderson. Stead refers to her fondness for Anderson and explains why she values Anderson and her writing, and analyses her experience of life in Berlin as a foreigner. Stead refers to her own literary activity and that of her husband and Max Schroeder. Stead draws parallels between life in England and the United States, and relects on issues in post-war Europe. The letters include references to Ruth McKenney, Frank Hardy and Bertolt Brecht. The collection includes an envelope containing notes labelled, "Glossary, repetitions, acknowledgements". There is also a copy of "Love in exile: an American writer's memoir of life in divided Berlin" by Anderson (South Royalton, Vt. : Sreerforth Press, 1999).
Author. Anderson left America for Berlin in 1947 to join her German husband, Max Schroeder, a poet, political activist and editor-in-chief of Aufbau Press.
- Manuscript reference no.: NLA MS 9405
- Anderson, Edith, 1915-1999 -- Correspondence
- Blake, William -- Correspondence
- Shroeder, Max
- Stead, Christina, 1902-1983 -- Correspondence
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Correspondence
- Women journalists -- Germany -- Berlin -- Correspondence
- Americans -- Germany -- Berlin -- Correspondence
- Women authors, Australian -- England -- London -- Correspondence
- Other authors/contributors:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Love in exile : an American writer's memoir of life in divided Berlin / Edith Anderson
- Portrait of a friendship : the letters of Barbara Blackman and Judith Wright 1950-2000 / edited by Bryony Cosgrove
- In touch : the letters of Paul Bowles / edited by Jeffrey Miller
- Letters to my daughter / Edith Summerskill
- Correspondence, 1933-1960 [manuscript]