Companion to Gould's Handbook, or, Synopsis of the birds of Australia, containing nearly one-third of the whole, or about 220 examples, for the most part from the original drawings / by Silvester Diggles
- Bib ID:
- Diggles, Silvester, 1817-1880
- Printed by Thorne & Greenwell,
- Brisbane : 1877
- 2 volumes : colour illustrations ; 38 cm.
- Spine title: Diggles Ornith. Austr.
- Library's GMM copy is quarter bound in green leather and cloth with 5 raised bands, marbled boards and gilt edges; Vol. 1 includes 2p. blue 'Prospectus of a new work entitled the ornithology of Australia, by Silvester diggles' with pencilled note: "This prospectus is very rare, I have only seen two G.M.M.", bookseller's description, a portrait and biography of Silvester pasted in; both volumes signed Gregory M. Mathews with bookplates ex-libris Gregory M. Mathews; pencilled note in Mathews' hand in Vol. 1, "This copy is bound ... [illegible] ... final ... taken from a copy of the work as bound by the bookseller. In the 2nd edn. many of the plates differ from the originals. The letter-press being similar. In the original edn. there are 126 plates. There are 21 pts. each of which contains 6 plates". In the redrawn edn. the colouring is awful, but in the original quite good. The parts (1-21) came out from 1866-1870. In 1877 the book seller who bought the stock issued title pages and index & had many of the plates re-drawn to make up complete sets. These sets are to be avoided. There were only about 100 sets of the original edition (92 names of subscribers). Parts 1-6 only 100 sets struck off. These were redrawn and 50 more done, making thus 150 sets"; some pencil corrections, notes and calculations throughout; p. 101-108 of The Austral avian record (no. 4) pasted into the rear of Vol. 1 - reporting on Diggles' life and work;
- Plates, with prefaces, and accompanying letterpress.
- Includes indexes.
- National Library of Australia's GMM copy has 126 coloured plates: Vol. 1, 61 plates and Vol. 2, 65 plates.
- Cited In:
- Ferguson, J.A. Bibliography of Australia, 9148a.
- Birds -- Australia
- Other authors/contributors:
- Gould, John, 1804-1881. Handbook to the birds of Australia
- Also Titled:
- Prospectus of a new work entitled the ornithology of Australia
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.