Papers of James Stuart MacDonald, 1895-1961 (bulk 1917-1952) [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- MacDonald, James S. (James Stuart), 1878-1952
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 2.05 m. (9 boxes) + 1 folio item.
Correspondence, diaries, manuscripts, speeches, cuttings, photographs and official papers, mostly dating from the late 1920s to 1952. The largest category are the notebooks, manuscripts and typescripts relating to the history of art, contemporary art, Australian artists, the National Gallery of Victoria and other cultural, historical and political subjects. There are a number of files containing minutes, reports, correspondence and other papers concerning the National Gallery of Victoria and, to a lesser extent, the National Gallery of New South Wales and the Commonwealth Art Advisory Board. The principal correspondents are Dame Mary Gilmore, Sir John Longstaff, Sir Lionel Lindsay, Sir Arthur Streeton, Hans Heysen, L. Bernard Hall, Will Ashton and Daryl Lindsay.
Artist, art critic and gallery director. Director of National Art Gallery of New South Wales (1928-1936) and National Gallery of Victoria (1936-1942).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 430.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room, and on the Internet at http://nla.gov.au/nla.ms-ms430
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- National Gallery of Victoria
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.