Barbara Leigh interviewed by Bill Stephens [sound recording]
- Bib ID:
- Leigh, Barbara, 1926-, interviewee
- Access Conditions:
- Written permission required for research use and public use during the lifetime of the interviewee.
- 2 sound files (179 min.)
Barbara Leigh, born Sydney, N.S.W. recalls her family background; her very first appearance at aged 5 years on stage in Bondi in 1932 in Cornstalks (theatre production); being an original Aeroplane jelly kid (televison commercial); her first music lessons at age 12; 1943 joining the Colin Chapman Amateur Group, taking the lead in 2 stage productions; working with Jimmy Davidson and the Tivoli Girls concert party (1946) to entertain allied troops in Japan; being in Hiroshima after the atom bomb was dropped on that city; her long career in English theatre & the various artists, such as Ivor Novello whom she performed with; her work on BBC radio; her theatrical work on the Australian stage; her recording career; retiring from professional theatre in 1970 except for occasional cabaret and concert performances; her job as a theatrical agent and journalist.
- Recorded on May 30-May 31, 2002 at the National Library of Australia, Canberra, A.C.T.
- Digital master available National Library of Australia;
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Timed summary (17 p.) available.
- Other authors/contributors:
- Stephens, Bill, 1936-, interviewer
Contact us for information about copying. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Until 2072 [Created/Published Date + 70 Years]
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Sound Recording
- Published status:
- Creation date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Papers of Colin Bingham, 1936-1974 [manuscript]
- Bian zheng wei wu zhu yi gang yao / Ai Siqi
- Blockbuster / Annette Broadrick. ...[et al]
- Hai! 1, teacher's resource and assessment kit: nice to meet you! / Sue Burnham and Michael Sedunary
- The green cockatoo and other plays / by Arthur Schnitzler ; translated into English by Horace B. Samuel