The country trade East-India pilot, for the navigation of the East-Indies and oriental seas, within the limits of the East-India Company, extending from the Cape of Good Hope to China, New Holland and New Zeeland, with the Red Sea, Gulf of Persia, Bay of Bengal, and China Seas [cartographic material] / chiefly composed from actual surveys and draughts communicated by experienced officers of the East-India Company, and from the Neptune oriental by M. d'Apres de Mannevillette
- Bib ID:
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- New ed., with many additions and improvements.
- Scales differ (W 172°26ʹ--E 18°19ʹ/N 55°19ʹ--S 50°47ʹ).
- London : Robert Laurie and James Whittle, 1799
- 1 atlas (105 leaves, 93 leaves of plates) : maps ; 67 cm.
- "Neatly engraved on ninety-three plates. Comprising eighty-seven charts"
- "To the most noble Marquis Wellesley, of Wellesley in England, Earl of Mornington, in Ireland, Knight of the most illustrious order of St. Patrick, Governor General of India, this valuable collection of charts, particularly adapted for the navigation of ships eastward of the Cape of Good-Hope, is most respectfully dedicated by his Lordship's very obedient servants, Robert Laurie and James Whittle. Fleet-Street, London, 1800"--P. .
- Most maps published by Laurie and Whittle, or William Heather, or Heather and Williams. Some maps by James Horsburgh.
- Some maps engraved by J. Stephenson.
- Plate number may differ to digitised version.
- National Library of Australia's copy includes handwritten ms. notes inserted at plate nos. [50a, b, and c] of the atlas, and at pages 66, 67, and 68 of the digitised version. These notes appear to have been written at about the same time as the maps were published and provide supplementary navigational instructions. It is not known whether these refer to map plates [50a, b, and c].
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-368781110
- Cited In:
- Phillips 4069.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Also Titled:
- East-India pilot
- Related Records:
This is a collection.
This collection contains 97 records.
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The Oriental pilot, or, A select collection of charts and plans ... for the navigation of the country trade in the seas beyond the Cape of Good Hope ... [cartographic material] / drawn chiefly from the last edition of the Neptune oriental of Mons. d'Apres de Mannevillette with important additions ... extracted from numerous journals of the Honourable the English East India Company
- Sailing directions for the East-India or Oriental pilot, for the navigation between England and the Cape of Good Hope [electronic resource]
- A new directory for the East Indies, containing general and particular charts for the navigation of those seas: where in the French Neptune oriental has been chiefly considered and examined: with additions, corrections, and explanatory notes: / by William Herbert
- To the Honble the Court of Directors of the United East India Company this chart intended as an accompaniment to the Book of Directions for navigating to, from, and in the East Indies [cartographic material] / as inscribed by their faithfull and most obliged servant James Horsburgh ; engraved by John Bateman
- [The East India pilot : a collection of charts, maps and plans for navigation]