Papers of Guido Baracchi, 1882-1970 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Baracchi, Guido, 1887-1975
- Related Online Resources:
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- 1.92 m. (11 boxes, 90 folders)
The collection consists of correspondence, handwritten notes from talks, a large amount of research notes, cuttings, handbills, leaflets, translations, photographs and poetry. It covers such organisations as the Communist Party of Australia, the Australian Labor Party, the Revolutionary Socialist Alliance, the Revolutionary Workers League, the Victorian Labour League, the Congress for Friendship and Aid to the Soviet Union, the Fourth International and the Seamen's Union. Other areas covered are conscription, the Vietnam War and the Spanish Civil War. There are also essays and biographical notes and cuttings on such people as H. Alwyn Lee, Baracchi's father, E.T. Brown, Percy Laidler and Victoria Cramp. The box of correspondence includes letters from Ralph Gibson, May Brodney, K.S. Prichard, Nettie and Helen Palmer, Dr Lotte Fink, Miriam Dixon, Eric Aarons, David and Bertha Walker (daughter of Percy Laidler), Neura and Michael Hall, Frederick Macartney, President Caballero, Tom Mann, Chris O'Sullivan, Erik Quirk, Jean Battersby, E.E. Jones, Lord Bruce, Will H. Turner, Prof. John Anderson, E.M. Higgins, Maurice Blackburn and Sydney Williams.
Son of Pietro Baracchi, Victorian Government Astronomer, educated at Melbourne Grammar School and Melbourne University. Active opponent of conscription, jailed 1918, joined I.W.W., edited International Industrial Workers paper Industrial solidarity, and with Percy Laidler in 1920-1921, the Proletarian Review. Foundation member of the CPA from which he was twice expelled (1925 & 1940). See Sydney Morning Herald, 1 Jan. 1976 and A. Davidson, The Communist Party of Australia 1969, p. 19, no. 45.
- Manuscript reference no. : NLA MS 5241.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collection of manuscripts relating to Australia ; D604.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- List available (9 p.).
- Time Coverage:
- Conscientious objectors
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Preventive conservation : basic conservation techniques / by John Davies
- Archivkunde : ein Beitrag zur Theorie und Geschichte des Europaischen Archivwesens / von A.Brenneke; bearbeitet nach Vorlesungsnachschriften und Nachlasspapieren und erganzt von W. Leesch
- Zhong wen dang an guan li xue / bian zhu zhe Wang Zheng
- Archival documents : providing accountability through recordkeeping / editors, Sue McKemmish & Frank Upward
- Lezioni di archivistica / Arnoldo D'Addario