William John McKell : boilermaker, Premier, Governor-General / Christopher Cunneen
- Bib ID:
- Cunneen, Christopher, 1940-
- Sydney : UNSW Press, 2000
- xii, 271 p.,  p. of plates : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.
- 0868405876 (paperback)
"William McKell, the long-serving Labor premier of New South Wales (1941-47), was described by Neville Wran as 'perhaps the most significant political figure in the history of NSW'. He played a central role in creating the modern Labor Party, and his efforts to mould the party into a pragmatic, electorally successful political machine have had an enduring influence." "McKell's long and influential career in public life began after the momentous 1916 split in the ALP, when he became the youngest member of state parliament after the ensuing election. Before he turned thirty he was a government minister and, after winning the party leadership in 1939, he led Labor to victory in 1941. As wartime premier McKell balanced the needs of the war economy with a practical program of social reform. After six years as premier he made the controversial decision to accept Prime Minister Chifley's invitation to become governor-general, a post he filled until 1953.".
"In this first full-length biography of William McKell in nearly thirty years, Christopher Cunneen provides a vivid portrait of the development of this important and in some ways enigmatic Labor figure, and an insight into New South Wales politics during a key period in twentieth century history."--BOOK JACKET.
- Includes bibliography (p. 245-249) and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Strength of purpose : Australian women of achievement from Federation to the mid-20th century / Susanna De Vries
- Wartime Australians : Billy Hughes / researched and written by Dr Jeff Kildea
- Joseph Lyons / Kate White ; with an introduction by Frank Moorhouse
- John Curtin / Allan Drummond ; illustrated by Janine Jones
- Charley's funeral / Paul Casey