Wu shi zi xiao / you Sun Junchen = The self-educator / by Sun Johnson
無師自曉 / 由孫俊臣 = The self-educator / by Sun Johnson
- Bib ID:
- Johnson, Sun, author
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item. CHRB 495.182442 J69 copy
- [Sydney] : [publisher not identified], 
- 178 pages : 19 cm
This edition contains a Chinese preface, lists of numbers, days of the week and time-related words and is then divided into sections with words and phrases related to different occupations and situations (words for vegetablemen and fruiterers; stores; carpenters; in court; pressing for debts; applying for a situation; ordering clothes; buying clothes, shoes, socks etc; cooks; hawkers; to let houses and gardens; making bargains; on board steamers; troubles in the street; buying medicine from dispensaries). It finishes with a list of names of people and occupations and some sample documents (addressed envelope, invoice/receipt, cheque etc). There are advertisements at the beginning and scattered throughout the volume.
Sun Johnson (孫俊臣 Sun Junchen) was one of the first editors of the first Chinese-language newspaper in Sydney, the Chinese Australian Herald (廣益華報 [Guangyihuabao]) 1894-1923. He was born in either 1865 or 1868 and educated in Hong Kong and then London before migrating to Sydney in the late 1880s.
- This phrasebook is a reproduction of handwritten English and Chinese.
- CHRB 495.182442 J69 copy Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-3105317113
- Text in Chinese and English.
- Also Titled:
- Self educator
- Ying wen za hua, wu shi zi xiao = Chinese and English, self-educator
- Chinese and English, self-educator
- 英文雜話 無師自曉 = Chinese and English, self-educator
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Created/Published Date is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Shi yong xin Zhonghua yu / J.P. Ratay = Current Chinese, a translation of the Shih yung hsin Chung hua yu
- Hua yu xin jie jing / Maikeyou, Zhou Keyun tong zhu = Introductory Mandarin lessons or Hua yu hsin chieh ching / by J.M. McHugh
- Guo yu jin jie. juan 1 / Jiang Keqiu zhu = Progressive Mandarin readers for intermediate students with a vocabulary, book one
- Fifty patterns of modern Chinese / Han Dezhi
- Speak Chinese / M. Gardner Tewksbury