Papers of Sir John Kirwan, 1899-1935 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Kirwan, John, Sir, 1869-1949
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- 16 cm. (11 folders)
Papers relating to the Federation movement on W.A. goldfields, early federal politics and the W.A. secession movement, including letters from Sir Isaac Isaacs, W.M. Hughes, Andrew Fisher, Sir Joseph Cook, Sir John Quick, Alfred Deakin, Lord Hopetoun, Sir Earle Page, C.C. Kingston, G.F. Pearce, G.H. Reid, Walter James, Sir Charles Dilke, George Leake, H.B. Higgins, S.M. Bruce, E.J. Harding, Malcolm MacDonald and James MacCallum Smith. Also letters from J.J. Astor, Lord De La Warr, Sir Arthur Pearson, Lord Novar, Lord Salisbury and Sir Austin Chamberlain. Articles on W.A. history, photographs and messages of congratulation to Australia on the inauguration of Federation.
Journalist and politician; came to Australia 1890, was editor-in-chief of the Kalgoorlie Miner and Western Argus; elected to Federal Parliament, 1901, as member for Kalgoorlie. In 1908 he was elected to Legislative Council of W.A. where he sat until his retirement in 1946. He was President 1926-1946 (Aust. Encyclopedia).
- Manuscript reference no. : NLA MS 277.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; A1163.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list (8 p.) available.
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Organising local archival materials [by] L. Petocz
- System informacji archiwalnej / Maciej Golembiowski
- Guide to the material in the National Archives / the National Archives
- Modern archives : principles and techniques / T.R. Schellenberg
- A avaliacao dos documentos publicos modernos / traducao de Leda Boechat Rodrigues