Records of the Aborigines Protection Society (as filmed by the AJCP) [microform] : [M2426-M2435], 1837-1888
- Bib ID:
- Manuscript and Microform
- Aborigines Protection Society (London, England)
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- Canberra : Australian Joint Copying Project, [19--]
- 10 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
1. Records of the British and Foreign Anti-Salvery Society, 1853-1886 re Pacific labour trade, treatment of natives in Queensland and Fiji, etc. 2. Aborigines Protection Society records, 1837-1888, re massacres and atrocities by and towards Aborigines; the treatment of Aborigines and Pacific labour in Queensland; Maori affairs including self-government, land schemes, visits of chiefs, etc.; Pacific labour trade; and treatment of indigenous peoples in Tonga, New Guinea and Fiji. 3. Letters from government offices in the Anti-Slavery Society, 1863-1886 mainly relating to import of Pacific Labour into Queensland and to the Aboriginal Protection Society, 1871-1888. 4. Aboriginal Protection Society records relating to Australia, 1845-92; New Zealand, 1843-86; New Zealand, 1864-87; Fiji, 1870-87; Polynesia, 1869-92 and the Pacific, 1868-95.
Founded in 1837 "to assist in protecting the defenceless and promoting the advancement of uncivilised tribes". The Society took a strong interest in native affairs in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific in 1866-88. Almagated with Anti-Slavery Society in 1909.
- Filmed as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project by the National Library of Australia and the State Library of New South Wales.
- National Library of Australia holds microfilm master.
- Australian Joint Copying Project miscellaneous series M2426-2435.
- Also available online https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-836340706
- Microfilm copy of originals held by Rhodes House Library, Oxford.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available (33 p.).
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Related Records:
This belongs to the Miscellaneous Series (Australian Joint Copying Project)..
This collection contains 521 records.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- Cannot determine publication date because this record has an open range of dates
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- An elementary guide to archive practice
- The progress of colonial reform [microform] : being a brief view of the real advance made since May 15th, 1823, in carrying into effect the recommendations of His Majesty, the unanimous resolutions of Parl iament, and the universal prayer of thenation with respect to negro slavery
- More than half a century has elapsed since the horrors, the cruelty, and crime of the African Slave Trade awakened the sympathies of Britons [microform] : aroused to exertion they determined on its extinction
- The law and testimony concerning slavery [microform]