Papers of Clare Burton, 1987-1997 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Burton, Clare, 1942-1998
- Access Conditions:
- Permission required for research. Not for loan.
- 5.70 m. (19 cartons)
MS Acc01.042 comprises lectures, addresses, conference papers, correspondence, research material, reports and printed ephemera relating to job evaluation, competency and public sector reform (17 cartons).
The Acc03.027 instalment comprises conference and seminar papers, reports, submissions, book reviews, grant applications and handwritten notes of readings. The papers relate in particular to employment of women in the private and public sectors, including in the Defence Force (2 cartons).
Academic, public sector administrator, researcher and consultant. Clare Burton was born in 1942 and graduated from the University of Sydney, with first class honours in anthropology and the university medal in 1963. She worked on the staff of Macquarie University and at Kuring-gai College of Advanced Education (which later amalgamated with the University of Technology, Sydney) she became an associate professor. In 1989 she left academic life to take up the position of Director of Equal Opportunity in Public Employment in the New South Wales government. Burton was appointed by the Queensland government as the Commissioner for Public Sector Equity in 1992. She later became an independent researcher and consultant as an expert on merit and equity issues in the work place. In the 1990s she conducted several reviews of a number of universities around Australia. Burton's publications include Subordination: feminism and social theory (1985), Redefining merit (1988), The promise and the price: the struggle for equal opportunity in women's employment (1991), and Gender equity in Australian university staffing (1997). She was the principal author of Managing for diversity research: report to the Industry Task Force on Leadership and Management Skills (1995). In 1984, Burton was awarded the Women and Politics Prize. Burton died in 1998.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS Acc01.042, MS Acc03.027.
- Burton, Clare, 1942-1998 -- Archives
- Political scientists -- Australia -- Archives
- Women political scientists -- Australia -- Archives
- Women -- Employment -- Australia
- Affirmative action programs -- Australia
- Sex discrimination in employment -- Australia
- Sex discrimination in education -- Australia
- Australia -- Officials and employees -- Archives
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Factors in the administration and use of Australian departmental archives 1962 [manuscript] / Keith Penny
- Papers of Ragbir Singh Bhathal, 1949-2006 (bulk 1996-1999) [manuscript]
- Papers of E.A. Lyall, 1968-1972 [manuscript]
- Papers of Morton Moyes, ca. 1964 [manuscript]
- Papers of Moira Dynon and John Dynon, 1929-1983