Learning to think environmentally : while there is still time / by Lester W. Milbrath
- Bib ID:
- Milbrath, Lester W
- Albany : State University of New York Press, 1996
- xx, 136 p. : ill. ; 19cm.
- 0791429539 (akl. paper) (hardback)
- 0791429547 (akl. paper) (paperback)
The survival of planet Earth's nourishing life systems ultimately depends on how we humans think about them. Unfortunately, our culture's assumptions about the way the world works ignore recent scientific understanding of life systems. This book explains the interdependency and delicate balance of biological, geological, and chemical systems as environmental scientists now understand them. It communicates a new way of thinking. Written in everyday language as a conversation between two neighbors, Learning to Think Environmentally is illustrated with cartoons by Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist Tom Toles. It demonstrates that learning the basic principles of environmental thinking is essential to our social, physical, economic, and spiritual well being. This new way of thinking is urgently needed in our public discourse if we are to take a sustainable pathway to the future.
- Full contents:
- Ch. 1. Introduction
- Ch. 2. Beliefs Empower and Deceive Us
- Ch. 3. The Hidden Danger in Doubling Times
- Ch. 4. Learning to Think Systemically
- Ch. 5. Matter and Energy Cannot Be Destroyed
- Ch. 6. Driving a Car Has Multiple Consequences
- Ch. 7. The Greenhouse Effect and Global Warming
- Ch. 8. Scattering Matter and Energy
- Ch. 9. Dynamic Natural Systems Stabilized by Diversity
- Ch. 10. Limits to the Earth's Capacity to Support People
- Ch. 11. The Tragedy of the Commons
- Ch. 12. The Earth: Both Source and Sink
- Ch. 13. Distinguishing Development from Growth
- Ch. 14. Distinguishing Sustainability from Sustainable Development
- Ch. 15. Choosing Wise Policies
- Ch. 16. Theories of Social Change
- Ch. 17. Next Steps.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- The strategic dimensions of environmental management : sustaining the corporation during the age of ecological discovery / Ulrich Steger, with Ralph Meima
- Perspectives on the precautionary principle / editors: Ronnie Harding, Elizabeth Fisher
- Canadian critical environmental zones : concepts, goals and resources : a report of the critical zones panel of the Canadian Global Change Program / written by Thomas C. Meredith ... [et al.]
- Major environmental issues facing the 21st century / Mary K. Theodore, Louis Theodore
- Sekai no kōgai chizu / Tsuru Shigeto hen