Politics of the secret / edited by Christopher Anderson
- Bib ID:
- [Sydney, N.S.W.) : University of Sydney, 1995
- [v], 142 p. : map ; 24 cm.
- Oceania monographs ; 45.
Collection of nine articles on aspects of secrecy in relation to the sacred in Aboriginal culture; mainly concerned with ritual objects, politics and social control, collection and repatriation of objects, mid Western Desert art; papers by Anderson (x2) , Palmer, Kolig, Akerman, Morton, Jones, Pannell, Kimber annotated separately. Outlines the questions related to the role of ritual objects in Aboriginal culture and their place in museum collections; examines issues of secrecy and return of ritual objects to communities; ethics.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Aboriginal Australians -- Antiquities -- Collection and preservation
- Ceremonial objects -- Australia, Central
- Ceremonial objects -- Australia, Northwestern
- Cultural heritage - Repatriation
- Social behaviour - Social control
- Religion - Rites - Ceremonial objects
- Religion - Rites - Ceremonial objects - Boards
- Western Desert (WA SF51, SF52, SG51, SG52)
- Other authors/contributors:
- Anderson, Christopher
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.