Papers of Charles William Clanan Marr, 1912-1959 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Marr, Charles William Clanan, Sir, 1880-1960
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference. Not for loan.
- 96 cm. + fol. items
Correspondence includes letters, telegrams and some postcards. Main correspondents are Charles Fitzmaurice, Sir John Latham, Duncan-Hughes, Walter Kingsmill, Col. W. Farr, Grosvenor Francis, J. H. P. Murray, Arthur Green, Percy Deane, R. H. Nesbitt, and William G. Ogden. Some copies of Marr's letters. Also newspaper cuttings (mainly royal tours, New Guinea, Mesopotamia, politics and elections); personal documents include cards, programs, invitations etc.; election papers include how-to-vote cards, leaflets, statistics etc. (covers 1925, 1929, 1931, 1935-1943). Other items include texts of speeches (luncheons etc.) typescript notes; some relate to parliamentary enquiries e.g. New Guinea. Typescript and handwritten diaries of the war years in Mesopotamia 1916-1918. Printed material includes speech reprints, pamphlets, government gazettes, statistical tables, parliamentary reports etc. Three books included are "Cartoons" by Claude Marquet, Memorial volume, 1920; "With horse and morse in Mesopotamia", ed. Keast Burke commissioned by the Australian and New Zealand Wireless Squadron, 1927; and "Australian chivalry... reproductions of official war paintings", ed. by J. L. Treloar, published by the Australian War Memorial, 1933. Photographs include military and political groups and two albums one of early Canberra in 1926/1927 and the other of Norfolk Island in 1926.a
Educated at Newington College and Sydney Technical College; worked as an electrical engineer with the P.M.G.; was in command of the Australian and New Zealand Wireless Squadron in Mesopotamia, and awarded M.I.D., M.C. and D.S.O. during W.W.1; M.H.R. for Parkes, N.S.W. 1919-1929 and 1931-1943 during which time he held a number ofportfolios, led delegations, etc. and was associated with many business concerns.
- Manuscript reference no. : NLA MS 3874.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; D622.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid (17 p.) available in Special Collections Reading Room, and on the Internet at http://nla.gov.au.ms-ms3874
- Marr, Charles William Clanan, Sir, 1880-1960 -- Archives
- Australia. Army. Australian and New Zealand Wireless Signal Squadron, 1st
- Politicians -- New South Wales -- Archives
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- Iraq
- Australia -- Politics and government -- 1901-1945
- Canberra (A.C.T.) -- Photographs
- Norfolk Island -- Photographs
- Time Coverage:
- Federal politicians.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Collections held by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland relating to Australia and New Zealand [microform] : [M1661-1666] 1798-1930
- Papers of Amy Pincott, 1948-2002
- Papers, 1953-1960 [manuscript]
- Papers of Arthur Ryan, [ca.1921-1941] [manuscript]
- Conference of representatives of the Commonwealth National Library and state library authorities, at Canberra, 21st - 22nd July, 1955 : report on project for copying, on microfilm, material of Australian, New Zealand and Pacific interest / submitted jointly by Commonwealth National Library and Public Library of New South Wales