Papers of H.F. Opperman, 1914-1976 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Opperman, H. F. (Hubert Ferdinand), 1904-1996
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research from the Curator of Manuscripts. Not for loan.
- 3.4 m. + 36 fol. items.
Opperman's papers cover his sporting, ministerial and political career. They consist of 23 folio-size news cutting books concerning cycling events many in France, mainly of road events and broad track racing (1914-1930). There are also news cuttings books on his political career from 1958-1967. Also in his collection are personal diaries (1920-1970) and correspondence as sportsman, Minister for Immigration and High Commissioner to Malta. Many are family letters written by Mrs Opperman. There is also an important collection of letters by Sir Robert Menzies and some by Harold Holt to Opperman. Typescripts of Canberra Diary, the radio program broadcast on Radio 2GL by Opperman when he was member for Corio and the manuscripts of his autobiography Pedal, Politics and People are included. There are also business papers of the Association for the Blind and the Bruce Small publication Amazing Oppy, Greeting cards, invitations and a collection of photo albums, mainly of Opperman's Tour de France period.
Opperman was Australian road cycling champion from 1924-1929. He won the French Award Bol d'Or in 1928. From 1940-1945 he was Flight Lieutenant in the RAAF and later Councillor for the Association for the Blind and Director of Allied Bruce Small Ltd. From 1946 to 1967 he was M.H.R. for Corio when he resigned. Opperman was High Commissioner to Malta from 1962-1972 and Minister for Immigration from 1963-1966 and from 1960-1963 he was Minister for Shipping and Transport.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 6429.
- Associated materials: Papers of Jamie Mackie, 1996-1996 MS Acc09.125.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia, D901.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available.
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Menzies, Robert, Sir, 1894-1978
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Organising local archival materials [by] L. Petocz
- System informacji archiwalnej / Maciej Golembiowski
- Guide to the material in the National Archives / the National Archives
- Modern archives : principles and techniques / T.R. Schellenberg
- A avaliacao dos documentos publicos modernos / traducao de Leda Boechat Rodrigues