Papers of Kenneth Hince, 1855-1969 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Hince, Kenneth
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 3.7 m. (23 boxes) 6 fol.
Almost all the collection relates to music, and primarily to Australian music. It includes manuscript and printed scores, manuscript and printed articles, correspondence, programmes, the constitutions of Australian musical organizations, biographical material, newspaper cuttings and photographs. Most of the material belongs to the period 1895-1969, but there are few letters dating from earlier than 1895. The collection includes files on Hector Berlioz, George Dreyfus, Percy Grainger, Sir James Barrett, Sir Bernard Heinze, Franz Holford, G.W.L. Marshall-Hall and Henty Tate. Correspondents include R. Allen, Ivy Brookes, Frank Clarke, Frederick Earp, M. Phillips Fox, Sir Robert Garran, Edward Grieg, Stefan Haag, Fritz Hart, Harold E. Holt, John Horner, Paul Howard, Andrew McCredie, H. James Martin, Sir Robert Menzies, Sir Stephen J. Morrel, Sir Charles Moses, May Paterson, Donald Peart, Noel Pelly, E. G. Pirane, Henri Verbrugghen and E. Wunderlich. There are also subject files on the Lady Northcote Permanent Orchestra Trust, the Melbourne University Conservatorium, the Australian Elizabethan Theatre and the Heidelberg District Musical Society. Includes a copy of the score of Victoria : cantata by Leon Caron that was performed for the first time at the inauguration of the Melbourne International Exhibition, 1st October 1880.
Kenneth Hince was born in 1926 and educated at Xavier College, Melbourne, and the University of Melbourne, where he studied Medicine and later Arts. In 1960 he opened a secondhand bookshop in Melbourne, and concentrated his collecting on Australian and rare English editions. Since 1964 he has been music critic for The Australian.
- Manuscript reference: MS 2691.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; B1085
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list (35 p.) available.
- Time Coverage:
- Music critics.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Organising local archival materials [by] L. Petocz
- System informacji archiwalnej / Maciej Golembiowski
- Guide to the material in the National Archives / the National Archives
- Modern archives : principles and techniques / T.R. Schellenberg
- A avaliacao dos documentos publicos modernos / traducao de Leda Boechat Rodrigues