Travels in New Zealand : with contributions to the geography, geology, botany and natural history of that country / by Ernest Dieffenbach
- Bib ID:
- Dieffenbach, Ernst, 1811-1855
- London : J. Murray, 1843
- 2 v. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ; NK1142.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ; NK3103.
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection ; NK3893.
- Dieffenbach's extended account of his New Zealand visit. Vol. I outlines his journeys in the North Island with two chapters on the Maoris and whalers of the Sounds. More important expeditions were to the Hutt River headways, his ascent of Egmont, his walk to Mokau and journey through Waikato to Taupo and Rotoaira returning by Rotorua and Tauranga in company with W.C. Symonds and (for part only) A.D. Best. His visits to many parts of Northland in company with a Capt. Bernard on the latter's vessel are outlined ... The second volume has an extended treatment of the Maoris, their culture, traditions and a lengthy section on the language with grammar, vocabulary and examples. Dieffenbach has a short chapter on the flora and over 120 pages on the fauna by J.E. Gray of the BM. Cf. Bagnall.
- Differences summarised by Andersen (A445, p.43-4) include t.-p. change, absence of map and list of plates, rewording of lines 9-10 of Preface and abbreviation of spine title. Cf. Bagnall.
- Originally published: 1843.
- Library's General copy has stamped "Ex Dono, E.J. Hallstrom".
- Rex Nan Kivell Collection NK1142, NK3103, NK3893.
- Cited In:
- Bagnall, 1600
Out of Copyright
- Reason for copyright status:
- Creator Date of Death is Before 1955
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Presumed date of death of creator (latest date):
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- Maori lore of lake, alp and fiord : folk lore, fairy tales, traditions and place names of the scenic wonderland of the South Island / Herries Beattie
- Domestic scenes in New Zealand
- Maoria : a sketch of the manners and customs of the aboriginal inhabitants of New Zealand / by J.C. Johnstone
- Yesterdays in Maoriland : New Zealand in the 'eighties / by Andreas Reischek ; translated and edited by H.E.L. Priday
- New Zealand and its aborigines : being an account of the aborigines, trade, and resources of the colony, and the advantages it now presents as a field for emigration and the investment of capital / by William Brown