Contracting colonialism : translation and Christian conversion in Tagalog society under early Spanish rule / Vicente L. Rafael
- Bib ID:
- Rafael, Vicente L
- 1st pbk. ed.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 1993
- xxi, 230 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- 0822313413 (alkaline paper)
- Full contents:
- Preface to the Paperback Edition
- Preface (1988)
- Introduction: Fishing Out the Past
- 1. The Politics of Translation. Language and Empire. Dominating the Vernacular. The "Failure" of Native Writing
- 2. Tomas Pinpin and the Shock of Castilian. Syncopating Language. Counting and the Evasion of Grammar. Gambling on Castilian
- 3. Conversion and the Demands of Confession. The "Inadequacies" of Tagalog Conversion. Reducing Native Bodies. Confession and the Logic of Conversion
- 4. Untranslatability and the Terms of Reciprocity. Rereading Christianity. The Imperative of Indebtedness: Utang na Loob and Hiya
- 5. Translating Submission. Person and Status in Precolonial Society. The Reach of Imperial Patronage. Conversion and the Ideology of Submission
- 6. Paradise and the Reinvention of Death. Generalizing Servitude. Visualizing the "Outside" Spirits and the Appeal of Christianity. Desiring a Beautiful Death
- Afterword: Translation and the Colonial Legacy.
- Originally published: Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 1988.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 220-226) and index.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
- Publication date:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.
- The last timawa : a novel / by Servando de los Angeles ; translated by Soledad S. Reyes
- New poems in Pilipino / edited by Federico Licsi Espino ; with an introduction by Bienvenido Lumbera
- The historical development of the Philippine national language / [Ernest J. Frei]
- Lexical check list for Philippine languages / compiled by Harold Conklin
- Baro : Philippine fabric and fashion / Mons Romulo-Tantoco, editor ; foreword by Marides Carlos-Fernando