Papers of H. Duncan Hall, 1910-1976 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Hall, H. Duncan (Hessel Duncan), 1891-1976
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 13.83 m. (87 boxes) + 2 fol. boxes + 1 folder.
MS 5547 comprises correspondence, manuscripts, research notes, diaries, lecture notes, unfinished memoirs, subject files, business papers and photographs documenting most of Hall's career and interests. There are extensive papers relating to the League of Nations, United Nations, British Raw Materials Mission, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, Institute of Pacific Relations, Imperial Conferences and the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. Many papers relate to, Commonwealth: a history of the British Commonwealth of Nations, and other writings. Correspondents include Sir Robert Menzies, Lord Baillieu, J.C. Smuts, W.N. Medlicott, W. Yandell Elliott and H. Lauterpacht.
The Acc03.255 instalment includes books containing notes by Hall. In one book there is a brief letter by L.S. Amery.
The Acc13.135 instalment comprises five photographic copies of original photographs: a group shot of Bertha Hall, Albert Einstein and Hessel Duncan Hall in a boat on Lake Geneva; portraits of Hessel Duncan Hall; formal group studio portrait of Hessel Duncan Hall, Alison Machin Hall and Lincoln Vickery Hall; a group shot of Hessel Duncan Hall, Alison Machin Hall and Lincoln Vickery Hall (1 folder).
Historian, academic and public servant. Hessel Duncan Hall was a lecturer at Oxford, Sydney, Syracuse and Harvard Universities. He was a member of the League of Nations Secretariat, 1927-1939, and of the British Raw Materials Mission, 1942-1946. He was the author of, The British Commonwealth of Nations: a study of its past and future development (1920), and, Commonwealth: a history of the British Commonwealth of Nations (1971), and other works. He was regarded as an international authority on the history of the British Commonwealth. Hall died in 1976.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 5547, MS Acc03.255, MS Acc13.135.
- Associated materials: Papers of H. Duncan Hall, 1970 MS 3150.
- Associated materials: Letters of H. Duncan Hall, 1915-1932 MS 7229.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; E27.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid (8 p.) available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Hall, H. Duncan (Hessel Duncan), 1891-1976 -- Archives
- Hall, H. Duncan (Hessel Duncan), 1891-1976 -- Photographs
- Commonwealth of Nations -- History
- Historians -- Australia -- Archives
- College teachers -- Australia -- Archives
- Australia -- Officials and employees -- Archives
- Commonwealth countries -- History
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of H. Duncan Hall and family's copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library's reading room using your library card.