Papers of Sir W.S. Kent Hughes, 1914-1986 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Kent Hughes, W. S. (Wilfrid Selwyn), Sir, 1895-1970
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 12.31 metres (82 boxes) + 5 folio boxes.
The papers comprise correspondence (including letters written by Kent Hughes from the Middle East during World War l and POW camps during World War ll), diaries, photographs, papers relating to Kent Hughes' career in Victorian and federal parliaments (including his term as Minister of Interior and Works), Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee and Chairman of the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Organising Committee; speeches, cuttings and cutting books and Kent Hughes' writings (including "Slaves of the samurai"). Copies of many of Kent Hughes' letters are included. The correspondents include General Gordon Bennett, Sir Robert Menzies, Lord Casey, Sir Garfield Barwick, Sir Arthur Fadden, Louis Loder, Les Norman, Tom Lingford, Norman Martin, Major-General Hans de Fremery, Senator James W. Fulbright, Avery Brundage, Sir James Pitman, Derek Shreiber, J.H. Tyer and John Wedderburn-Maxwell.
Soldier and politician. Kent Hughes was Victorian Minister of Transport and Education (1947) and Transport and Electrical Undertakings (1948-49). He became Federal Member for Chisholm in 1949 and Minister for Interior and Works (1951-56). He was Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee (1956-61) and Chairman of the Olympic Games Committee (1951-1956). His published works include "Slaves of the samurai" (1946).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 4856.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-233705481
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; C1145.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- List available (28 page)
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Kent Hughes, W. S. (Wilfrid Selwyn), Sir, 1895-1970. Slaves of the samurai
- Selected items exhibited: "Treasures Gallery", National Library of Australia, 16 September 2013 - 2 February 2014.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Modern crusaders : an account of the campaign in Sinai and Palestine up to the capture of Jerusalem / by Major W.S. Kent Hughes
- Slaves of the Samurai : an Australian odyssey, which gives an account of the life and thoughts of a slave of the Samurai, during his three years and seven months as a prisoner of war in the hands of the Japanese / by W.S. Kent Hughes
- The fairyland of Ida Rentoul Outhwaite
- Appreciation of the S.E. Asian situation, January-February, 1964
- Intelligence bulletin