Papers of Jack Lindsay, circa 1942-1983 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Lindsay, Jack, 1900-1990
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- [ca. 1942-1983]
- approximately 32.25 m. (215 boxes)
MS 7168 comprises letters to family, Australian and overseas writers, artists and others; drafts of published and unpublished works with background material (notes, photocopies and cuttings) relating to those works; and, diaries including trip diaries. Lindsay's letters are arranged chronologically with alphabetical indexes. Much of the collection comprises papers arranged by Lindsay according to his activities, especially publication projects, including books on William Blake, Gustave Courbet, William Hogarth, William Morris, and J.M.W. Turner, and interests in subjects such as alchemy, anthropology, art, Marxism and science.
The collection also includes manuscripts, photocopies, printed items and some letters. Among the many correspondents represented in the collection are Arthur Boyd, Harry Chaplin, Clem Christesen, Dymphna Cusack, Simone de Beauvoir, Dorothy Green, Frank Hardy, Flexmore Hudson, Doris Lessing, Sir Daryl Lindsay and other Lindsay family members, David Martin, Alan Marshall, Stephen Murray-Smith, Vance and Nettie Palmer, K.S. Prichard, Elizabeth Salter, Christina Stead, P.R. Stephenson, Peggy van Praagh, Judah Waten and Judith Wright (215 boxes).
Writer, poet, novelist, classical translator and critic. Jack Lindsay was the author of over 150 books including novels, plays, collections of poetry, biographies, translations and works on politics, philosophy and history. Further biographical information available at: https://nla.gov.au/nla.party-569520
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 7168.
- Some photocopies.
- Associated materials: Letters and books inscribed to Patricia Moberly, 1937-1987 MS 9896.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-756048641
- Related Material:
- Conversation with Jack Lindsay; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 1/478.
- Jack Lindsay interviewed by John Arnold; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 1954.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; E747.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Updated (2003) finding aid (21 p.) available in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Lindsay, Jack, 1900-1990 -- Archives
- Blake, William, 1757-1827
- Courbet, Gustave, 1819-1877
- Hogarth, William, 1697-1764
- Morris, William, 1834-1896
- Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851
- Authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Archives
- Historians -- Australia -- Archives
- Translators -- Australia -- Archives
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of Jack Lindsay's copyright material permitted for research purposes.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Organising local archival materials [by] L. Petocz
- System informacji archiwalnej / Maciej Golembiowski
- Guide to the material in the National Archives / the National Archives
- Modern archives : principles and techniques / T.R. Schellenberg
- A avaliacao dos documentos publicos modernos / traducao de Leda Boechat Rodrigues