The Bougainville crisis : an Australian perspective / Alexander Downer
- Bib ID:
- Downer, Alexander, 1951-
- Related Online Resources:
- NL 327.172 D748 copy
- Canberra : Dept. of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2001
- x, 43 p.,  p of plates : col. ill., col. ports., col. maps ; 23 cm.
Australia's role in peace-building in the Commonwealth is nowhere more evident than on the island of Bougainville, just hours from north-east Australia off Papua New Guinea's east coast. Bougainville faces huge challenges after 10 years of civil war, but this did not dampen the joyous celebrations last month in Arawa at the signing of the Bougainville Peace Agreement.
- Full contents:
- Chronology of major events in the peace process
- Key players
- Maps: North-east Australia and neighbouring states in the South Pacific region
- Vicinity of Bougainville Island
- Origins of the crisis
- Australia, PNG and Bougainville - the years after 1975
- The conflict - the early period
- Backwards and forwards - the early mid-nineties
- Sandline and the after - beginnings of the peace
- The truce
- Paece achieved - the deployment of the Peace Monitoring Group
- The substance of peace-the toils of negotiation
- Australia's role - 1996 to 2000
- The breakthrough in negotiations
- Where we are now?
- "The author wishes to acknowledge the contribution in the preparation of this monograph of Mr Greg Urwin, a senior officer in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade with long experience in the South Pacific"--T.p. verso.
- NL 327.172 D748 copy Digital master available National Library of Australia
- Other authors/contributors:
- Commonwealth of Australia 2001.
You may copy under some circumstances, for example you may copy a portion for research or study. Order a copy through Copies Direct to the extent allowed under fair dealing. Contact us for further information about copying.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
- Published status:
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- Ethnonationalist dimensions of internal conflict : the case of Bougainville secessionism / by Stephanie Lawson
- A promising liaison : kastom and state in Bougainville / Volker Boege
- Bougainville and the discovery of slowness : an unhurried approach to state-building in the Pacific / Volker Boege
- Without a gun : Australians' experiences monitoring peace in Bougainville, 1997-2001 / edited by Monica Wehner and Donald Denoon
- Building peace in Bougainville / edited by Geoff Harris, Naihuwo Ahai and Rebecca Spence