Papers of Chester Wilmot, 1872-1990 [bulk 1937-1954] [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Wilmot, Chester, 1911-1954
- Online Version:
- National Library of Australia digitised item
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Available for reference.
- 7.7 m (55 boxes)
Contains inter alia: 1. Family papers and family history research material, 1872-1990. 2. Correspondence, newscuttings and working notes relating to Wilmot's career as a broadcaster and war correspondent, 1937-54. 3. Diaries and notebooks, 1938-53. 4. Corrected scripts of broadcasts, 1940-54. 5. Correspondence/research files relating to Wilmot's work as an author/war historian, 1943-53. 6. Drafts of books "Tobruk, 1941" (1943) and "The Struggle for Europe" (1952). 7. Reviews, reactions and correspondence regarding "The Struggle for Europe", 1952-54. 8. Biographical research material and drafts assembled by Alan and Mary Wood, 1954-?
Chester Wilmot (1911-1954) was an an ABC and BBC broadcaster and war correspondent during the period 1938-1953. As a war correspondent during World War II Wilmot reported campaigns in North Africa, New Guinea, the western front and the Nuremberg war crimes trials. Author of "Tobruk, 1941" (1943) and "The Struggle for Europe" (1952). Wilmot was killed in an airplane crash in 1954, leaving his widow Edith and three children.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 8436.
- Also available online http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-234755858
- Related Material:
- Associated materials: other Wilmot papers are held by the Liddell Hart Archives, London; the Australian War Memorial and the Australian Film and Sound Archives.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; E1171
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available (27 p.)
- Wilmot, Chester, 1911-1954 -- Archives
- Wilmot, Edith -- Archives
- Journalists -- Australia -- Archives
- War correspondents -- Australia -- Archives
- Historians -- Australia -- Archives
- Journalism -- Australia
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Africa, North
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Eastern Front
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Western Front
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Wilmot, Edith
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.