Papers and books of W.F. Paton, 1892-1951 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Paton, W. F. (William Frederick), -1970
- Access Conditions:
- Available for research. Not for loan.
- 0.45 m. (3 boxes)
MS 7030 comprises notes, drafts and correspondence concerning W.F. Paton's translations into New Hebridean languages. Correspondents include H.W. Allen, Edwin W. Smith and A. Capell, and the British and Foreign Bible Society in Australia. The collection also includes translations of the Bible, hymnbooks, catechisms and other religious works in New Hebridean languages, many annotated by Paton with occasional references to entries in the Ferguson bibliography (3 boxes).
Presbyterian missionary. William Frederick (Wilfred) Paton belonged to a family of missionaries prominent in the New Hebrides. His grandfather was John Gibson Paton (1824-1907) who established a mission station there on the island of Tanna. W.F. Paton served as a missionary in New Caledonia and the New Hebrides from 1902 to 1928. He published works on the natives of those islands, studied Melanesian Pidgin, translated works into Ambrymese and contributed to the newspaper Propos missionaires. He subsequently lived in Tasmania and was moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania. He graduated with Bachelor of Divinity and Master of Arts degrees, and received a Doctor of Letters degree from the University of Melbourne. Paton died in 1970.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 7030.
- Cited In:
- Guide to collections of manuscripts relating to Australia ; E4.
- Paton, W. F. (William Frederick), -1970 -- Archives
- Allen, H. W -- Correspondence
- Smith, Edwin W. (Edwin William), 1876-1957 -- Correspondence
- Capell, A. (Arthur), 1902-1986 -- Correspondence
- Presbyterian Church -- Australia -- Clergy -- Archives
- Clergy -- Australia -- Archives
- Missionaries -- Vanuatu -- Archives
- Missions -- Vanuatu
- Vanuatu -- Religious life and customs
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- France and England in the New Hebrides : the Anglo-French condominium / by Edward Jacomb
- Pasifik paradaes/ by Grace Mera Molisa ; drawings by Andrew Bunyan, Kathy Simon, and Vatumaraga Molisa
- Papers of William Gunn, 1872-1921 [manuscript]
- Black sand; New Hebrides, its people and places [by] May and Henry Larsen. Translated by John and Patricia Russell
- Vanuatu : a guide / Norman Douglas