Papers of Helen Garner, 1990-2005 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Garner, Helen, 1942-
- Access Conditions:
- MS 9265 Series 1-6: Not available for research until 1 January 2022; thereafter permission required for research during the lifetimes of Helen and Alice Garner. MS 9265 Series 7-9: Not available for research until 1 January 2012; thereafter permission required for research during the lifetime of Helen Garner. MS Acc10.181: Permission required for research during the lifetime of Helen Garner. Not for loan.
- 7.23 m. (13 boxes) + 3 cartons + 10 fol. boxes + 1 packet.
MS 9265 comprises correspondence, research files, drafts, cuttings, articles and other papers relating to books published by Helen Garner between 1992-2004. Series 1. Cosmo Cosmolino (1992): drafts, typescripts and galley proofs. Series 2-6. The first stone (1995): research material, drafts, public reaction, correspondence and later galley proofs. Series 7-9. Joe Cinque's consolation (2004): research material, drafts and public reaction to the book (13 boxes, 3 cartons, 10 fol. boxes).
The Acc10.181 instalment comprises annotated typescript drafts of Joe Cinque's consolation. Includes notes from Garner to her agent (1 packet).
Born in Geelong, Victoria in 1942, Helen Garner has worked extensively as a writer, journalist, reviewer and screenwriter. Her published works include Monkey grip (1977), Honour and other people's children (1980), The children's Bach (1984), Postcards from Surfers (1985), Cosmo Cosmolino (1992), The last days of chez nous (1992), The first stone (1995), Joe Cinque's consolation (2004), and The spare room (2008).
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9265, MS Acc10.181.
- Related Material:
- Helen Garner interviewed by Hazel de Berg in the Hazel de Berg collection; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 1/1260.
- Interview with Helen Garner, author; Located at; National Library of Australia Oral History collection ORAL TRC 5384.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Finding aid not available for public research. Finding aid for Series 7-9 will be available for public research from 1 January 2012.
- Time Coverage:
- Copying of Helen Garner's copyright material requires permission for research purposes during the lifetimes of Helen and Alice Garner.
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.