Papers of Hazel Rowley, [1923-2021]
- Bib ID:
- Rowley, Hazel
- Related Online Resources:
- Finding aid at National Library of Australia
- Access Conditions:
- Part available for research; part requires permission for research (Series 2, Folders 2, 3 and 5-7; Series 3, Folder 1; Series 4, Folders 7-12, 14-18 and 20-21; and Series 6, Folder 3; Folder 311). Not for loan.
- 4.23 m. (28 boxes) 1 folder + 5 digital carriers.
This collection comprises papers pertaining to Rowley's biographies: 'Christina Stead: A Biography (1994)', 'Richard Wright: The Life and Times (2001)', 'Tête-à-tête: The Lives and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre' (2005), 'Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage' (2010). They include Rowley’s correspondence with her subjects and those who knew them. In the first consignment the major correspondents are Edith Anderson, Leda and Stanley Burnshaw, Gwen Walker-Smith, Florence James, Jessie and Ettore Rella, Ruth Hall, David Stead, Ron Geering, Clifton Fadiman, Kate Llwellyn, Mary Bransten, Nadine Mendelson, Elizabeth Harrower, Gai Steel, Michael Bott, Margaret Harris, Michael Gold, Edith Anderson, Anne and Harry Bloom, Gilbert Stead, Fred Warburg, Oliver Stallybrass, Leah and Philip Harvey, and Aida Kotlarsky. Of note in the second consignment is an original letter from Simone de Beauvoir and original letters of Christina Stead. Other correspondents include Clem Christesen, Harper Lee, Sylvie Le Bon de Beauvoir, William Vanden Heuvel, Constance Webb, Richard Wright, Barbara Baer, Oliver Stallybrass and Toril Moi. There are photographs, research files, transcripts and notes of interviews, manuscripts and papers for other work on topics such as ‘The Hollywood Ten’ and a copy of Rowley’s thesis 'The Female Experience in the Autobiographies of Simone de Beauvoir and Violette Leduc'. Journals, diaries, notes and log books provide further insight into Rowley’s research work conducted in Australia and overseas.
Biographer and academic. Rowley has written and edited a number of books, including 'The female experience in the autobiographies of Simone de Beauvoir' (1981), "Delves and simulacra: autobiography' (1994), 'From a distance: Australian writers and cultural displacement' (1996) and 'Christina Stead' (1993).
- Includes photocopies.
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9244.
- Reading Room Access note: For preservation reasons, we are unable to deliver digital and audiovisual carriers to the Special Collections Reading Room. Please contact Ask a Librarian to enquire about access. https://www.nla.gov.au/using-library/getting-started/ask-librarian.
- Originals located in Australian, overseas and private repositories.
- Index/Finding Aid Note:
- Descriptive list available (8 p.)
- Time Coverage:
- Other authors/contributors:
- Stead, Christina, 1902-1983
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- [Biographical cuttings on Christina Ellen Stead, author, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals]
- Christina Stead : a study in criticism / by John O'Donnell
- Christine Williams MS 8065 collection [sound recording]
- Christina Stead : selected fiction and nonfiction / edited by R.G. Geering and A. Segerberg
- Letters from Christina Stead to Margaret Hanks and Percia Stead, 1938-1982 [manuscript]