Correspondence of Barbara Blackman with Judith Wright, 1950-1998 [manuscript]
- Bib ID:
- Blackman, Barbara, 1928-
- Access Conditions:
- Permission required for research. Not for loan.
- 0.15 m. (1 box)
Barbara Blackman and Judith Wright enjoyed a friendship spanning over four decades.This collection comprises their letters to each other, documenting this long friendship. Blackman's early letters to Wright revolve around bringing up her young family and supporting Charles in his work. Her letters of later years detail her attempts to establish a career for herself and contain many of her philosophical outlooks on life. Similarly, Wright's early letters detail her family life, but also include references to her career. Her later letters detail her growing interest and involvement with issues relating to conservation. Many of Wright's letters contain poems she has jotted down for Blackman to read (1 box).
Essayist and author. Barbara Blackman was married to the artist Charles Blackman and during their 30 years together was involved in both the Australian and European art scenes, numbering amongst her friends and acquaintances many well-known Australian artists. She has worked as a magazine columnist, a radio producer for Radio for the Print Handicapped and on behalf of the National Library of Australia has recorded a number of interviews with leading figures in the Australian art scene. She was co-founder of the Little Lookout Theatre in Sydney and is a member of the C.G. Jung Society and the National Federation of Blind Citizens. Further biographical information at http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/742077
- Manuscript reference no.: MS 9589.
- Associated materials: Papers of Barbara Blackman, approximately 1950-1970 MS Acc12.154.
- Blackman, Barbara, 1928- -- Correspondence
- Wright, Judith, 1915-2000 -- Correspondence
- Blind -- Australia -- Correspondence
- Women poets, Australian -- 20th century -- Correspondence
- Women authors, Australian -- 20th century -- Correspondence
- Australian literature -- 20th century -- Women authors
- Australian poetry -- 20th century
- Time Coverage:
If you wish to copy or order copies, contact us. For access conditions return to the record display above.
- Reason for copyright status:
- A Manuscript Collection may have a range of formats and dates.
Copyright status was determined using the following information:
- Material type:
- Literary Dramatic Musical
Copyright status may not be correct if data in the record is incomplete or inaccurate. Other access conditions may also apply. For more information please see: Copyright in library collections.
Request this item
Request this item to view in the Library’s reading room.
- The habit of being : letters / Flannery O'Connor ; edited and with an introd. by Sally Fitzgerald
- Letters to Anais Nin / Edited and with an introd. by Gunther Stuhlmann
- Private history : an autobiography
- Pŭt prez godinite
- The journals of Andre Gide / translated from the French, with an introd. and notes, by Justin O'Brien